Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alena
Newbie August 2020 Ontario

Bridal Shower Registry or Money?

Alena, on August 6, 2019 at 08:06 Posted in Before the wedding 0 12

Hi Everyone!

My mom along with my bridesmaids are planning my Bridal Shower for next February 2020, my wedding is next April.

My mom has the venue, theme, food plans, decor, etc, all planned out already. I'm inviting about 35 women, close family and friends, all from our wedding guests.

The whole concept of a Bridal Shower is a bit strange to me though as I've actually never been to one before and my mom is now asking if I would rather register for gifts or simply ask for money -- this just feels weird in general, I don't like asking people for things and I know they are already going to bring a gift/money to the wedding.

What are you doing / what did you do?

Is it okay to just not put anything about gifts or is that worse? I just want to have a great time with the close women in my life, I don't need/want presents but people are probably still going to bring things aren't they?

SOS.

12 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on September 12, 2019 at 16:36
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Dont do either. let people bring what they want to bring. if they bring cash great if they bring a gift great.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had a small registry for my shower, but a lot of people still gave money instead. People will give you whatever they feel like at the end of the day lol.
  • Kelly
    Devoted May 2020 Ontario
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Do both! I have my registry set up through my registry.com it allows you to add gifts form any store and has the option to put cash donations for honeymoon, Reno’s, wedding, what ever you choose!
  • Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you don't want any gifts then don't register anywhere and on the invitation state Best Wishes Only. It is my feeling and I mean no offense to anyone but I think it is never ok to ask for money or register for your honeymoon, but that is just me.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did not register for anything, plus I have the added fact that I'm flying down for my shower and have limited luggage space. In the invites, my mom put that gift cards were suggested as I have to travel home and listed a few stores as ideas - some people might still bring physical gifts but hopefully most get the idea.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It is 100% up to you and what you want to do. We have lived together for almost 4 years, so we have a lot of new stuff, and if we were to do a registry, it would be more random stuff we really don't need.

My mother in law is hosting a shower, and putting on the invites that money is requested for our honeymoon, but yet my step mom is hosting one for my side of the family, and she isn't putting anything on the invites, just letting family know that we want money.

Some people are old school and will bring you a gift instead of money if you don't put anything down, so if that bothers you, put something down requesting money, or specific items if you aren't doing a full registry.

• M
    Curious January 2020 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's really up to you. But if you are having a shower then you should choose something - personally the money at the shower thing is a bit weird - everyone watching me just open cards would drive me nuts - plus then everyone know how much other people spent. And from experience, if you don't register for gifts, people will still buy you things but in this case it will be things they "think" you need - not what you actually need so you may end up with 5 different toasters, or things in a really awful pattern. With a registry, at least those people who insist on buying things will have options of things that you actually want and can use.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had registered for 3 places, some people brought money or gift cards to where they thought would be nice. My mom ended up telling some people what I needed or people bought what they think I would need. Most people only 4 people out of 30 looked/used my registry! I wouldn't straight out say to give money only as that would be turn off. For people who can't afford much of gift they can usually get something on sale and looks higher value or feels better than bringing what they can afford in money

• Alena
    Alena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks nonetheless, I think I'll just tell my mom that we can let people decide whatever they want to bring but a simple card is okay too! Smiley smile

Have a great day

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes, someone will always bring a gift even if you put no boxed gifts on the invite. It always happens!

Many people think “asking for money” at a bridal shower is taboo but really society has changed so much, I don’t think it’s taboo at all.
  • Alena
    Alena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey Kelsie,

Thanks, that's a great point, we've lived together for three years now and don't need anything typical like that.

I don't want to do a registry so I think just leaving out that info would be fine. Do you think people will still bring gifts though?

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m not doing a registry. I don’t need anything or need to upgrade anything I have.

Im just not putting anything gift related on the invite and if anyone asks my mom or FMIL will simply say money is appreciated for their new home.

A bridal shower is typically for gifts for the new home of the bride and groom but if you’ve lived together already, or like me, lived on your own before, you have things already and if just doesn’t make sense.

do what works for you!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics