Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Seleena
Super September 2019 British Columbia

Bridal Shower Drama/rant

Seleena, on May 13, 2019 at 11:12 Posted in Before the wedding 0 6

So I just got back from Ontario last weekend- I went to visit family for 4 days. And to my surprise, my step mom planned me a bridal shower!

Here is a little backstory before I get into the details;

Last year around October, my sister had asked my fiancé for my friends, future parents addresses so she could send invites for a bridal shower. She tried convincing me to go to Ontario, but I could not get time off work or afford it at the time.

Fast forward to April, she books be a ticket to fly there (I paid for half) and I go. Literally my entire family thought there would be a surprise bridal shower from her. She did ask everyone for addresses. Why else would she fly me there? Anyways, it didn't happen.

My sister is my half sister on my moms side and has nothing to do with my step mom/dads side of the family.

So I go visit my step mom, she plans me a surprise bridal shower and invites my aunt/cousins (dads side), future parent in laws, friends. It was small. My sister was not invited because my step mom thought my sister was planning me something.

I tell my sister I had a surprise shower, and she LOSES it.

She goes on Facebook, messages my step mom a huge nasty message. How she would have 'included that side of the family if it were her'. Yet when she asked everyone for addresses back in October, she did not ask my step mom or cousins. She said how hurt she was that she wasn't invited and how she 'paid for me to go visit my dad' (even though I paid for half). She brings up how she paid for me to fly there when my Opa died even though it was her, my brother and my mom who actually paid for that.

Anyways, she's bringing up all of this nonsense....over a bridal shower!! My step mom was trying to do something nice for me and now my sister is losing it at her AND me. I was literally just like I'm sorry, but everyone thought you were planning something and I didn't even know this was happening, so don't take it out on me.

So now my step mom is upset about my sister being rude to her.

I have no idea what to do about it. I shouldn't even have to be in the middle of this. I didn't ask for a bridal shower. I didn't even know I was having a bridal shower. I want to bring it up to my sister to tell her how it is, but she is very dramatic and will probably disown me for a while.

What do I do?!?!

6 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on May 14, 2019 at 13:39
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is such strong advice!

I think we all try to put out the fires and keep the peace, but some things are not our faults and we need to let them be.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Allison has a good point! It does get very awkward but you didn't know! And honestly I would have expected one from her which she never did.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've definitely been caught in-between drama that had nothing to deal with me but since I was a mutual friend, both parties complained to me about the other and it's VERY AWKWARD!

But like you said, you had nothing to do with it since you didn't know you were going to have a shower. I'd let your sister cool off. It's unfortunate you got stuck in between this, but giving her time to cool down will help. Try to (gently) remind her that this was none of your doing, but that you understand she's upset about this.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have to agree with Lisa. You had nothing to do with planning it, or inviting people. I mean in a way it is good that she is venting to you, and maybe she just needs someone who will listen to her about it.

But like you said, she is still invited to the wedding. And maybe if she was planning a shower in the first place, she should have stuck with it and then wouldn't be in this situation!

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks. It’s super awkward because she’s venting to me about it all, and I’m just like yes... but I had nothing to do with it. I shouldn’t have to be in the middle of this. It’s a bridal shower, get over it. It’s not like she isn’t invited to my wedding. 🤪
  • Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry this happened. I'm not sure that there's much you CAN do. You aren't responsible for the what the shower was planned, nor are you responsible for how she feels. I'd give her some time and hopefully she will cool off. Let her know that you are aware that she is upset, as you already have, but don't let anyone make you feel as though this is your fault or issue to fix.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics