Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Candice
Curious October 2018 Alberta

Bridal Shower

Candice, on July 24, 2018 at 09:58 Posted in Before the wedding 0 13

Hi! I need some advice. I actually really want a bridal shower, but my bridemaids aren't really the party planning type. Unfortunetly both my Mom and my Mother in Law live out of town. Is it tacky to just go ahead and plan my own shower? I love to plan parties, so I don't feel overwhelmed planning it and the wedding isn't for a couple of months.

I have a bridemaid coming up (she lives 5 hours away) to help with DIY stuff so I thought we could do the shower then so she doesn't have to travel twice. But they haven't really gone anywhere with the idea....

I don't want a stagette, but rather a nice afternoon with friends.....

13 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on August 7, 2018 at 08:17
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Glad everything worked out for you!!! I would have said just ask your MOH and plan it and then let her be the one to "host" it even though u planned it all out! I would do that for sure since I'm a planny person too haha!!
  • Candice
    Curious October 2018 Alberta
    Candice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks Ladies!! I went ahead and started planning! Once I did my MOH and Bridemaid jumped on board and are helping out!

• Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think its tacky at all! I agree go for it! It will be beautiful and fun Smiley smile! And luckily your bridesmaid can help with DIY!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

GO for it! I don't see any problem in planning something for yourself if others cannot help you.

• T
    Beginner July 2019 Ontario
    TIANNA ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Go for it and plan your shower alot of people do. Its not tacky at all and you get exactly what you want.
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I say go for it! I wouldn’t think twice about someone hosting their own bridal shower. Wouldn’t make a bit of difference to me as a guest.
  • S
    Frequent user January 2021 Alberta
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Because a Bridal Shower is an event that is literally about showering you with gifts, I would feel uncomfortable planning one for myself and think it might come off a little entitled to do so. HOWEVER, if you just want the pre-wedding party I don't see anything wrong with hosting a Bridal Tea or Luncheon. Chances are, guests would likely bring a small gift to something like that, regardless of whether gifts are mentioned at all, but you won't come off as gift grabby by simply inviting a group of ladies out for high tea or a luncheon to celebrate your upcoming nuptials.

• Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I planned my own shower and bachelorette. My MOH has only been to 1 wedding before, so she didn’t really know what she was supposed to do. My one bridesmaid got married 6 weeks before us, so she was busy with her own wedding. And my other bridesmaid has 2 kids under 2 and lives almost 2 hours away. So, I just decided that I would plan my own parties. And they both turned out great!
  • Julie
    Expert March 2019 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would make sure something is not being done as a surprise just in case... you definitely deserve a Shower and I think it would be nice to plan what you'd like especially if you are a planner!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It seems you don't have your wedding party nearby which makes it harder to plan with them. You planning it easier and having it your way.
  • M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Plan your shower. I think it's considerate that you aren't making your friend travel too much. I've had to plan a lot of things without my bridesmaids and it's going good
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I see no problem with that! I have only been invited to a few but for all I know - the bride to be could have been the one to plan it. The only thing that would tell me otherwise is when the bride thanks those who put it together. In reality if you got the ball rolling and then divvy out the tasks you could say thanks to them for pulling this off and nobody would be the wiser.

• Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If that’s what you want I would do it! I think it would be nice if even just one of your ladies helped out with the invitations part. Might be a little awkward inviting people to your own shower? but you could do the planning and they could send them out or just start a Facebook event?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics