Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Newbie August 2023 Newfoundland and Labrador

Bridal Party Hair & Make up?

Lauren, on January 20, 2020 at 01:50 Posted in Before the wedding 0 16
Hey all. Just wondering what the thing to do is these days. Do we, as the bride, pay for bridal party hair and make up too, or does everyone pay for their own? I have no idea! TIA

16 Comments

Latest activity by Jamie, on January 23, 2020 at 18:14
  • Jamie
    Frequent user June 2022 British Columbia
    Jamie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think I might pay for my bridesmaids hair...still undecided as we are basically paying for the whole wedding on our own. It's a small expense, but still an expense. We won't be having an MUA. Everyone in the group knows how to apply make up nicely and we have All-Nighter setting spray. We're good

• Marcy
    Frequent user October 2020 Saskatchewan
    Marcy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I told my bridesmaids they could have their hair done or do it themselves if they preferred, I’m not worried about them matching or anything like that. I paid for the deposit for those who wanted to get it done, and then on the day of they just need to pay the balance, which isn’t much. I think if you want something specific, or are requiring each to get them done it’s nice to pay or offer to chip in(if you can, let’s be honest weddings are expensive all around, so I don’t think you should feel pressure to HAVE to). I think it really depends on your budget and your expectations
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I will give my MOH the choice of getting hair and makeup done because there is o ly the two of us. However, she is really good at doing her own hair and makeup and I doubt she will let someone else do it. The last time someone did her hair it all fell down before the wedding and she had to redo it anyway. It was a huge waste of money since no one saw it. I will be paying to get my hair and makeup done as well as my moms makeup, fml's hair and makeup, daughter's hair and possibly my step flm so one more person won't make that much of a big deal if MOH decides to let someone else do it.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Every party that i have been included ive paid for my own. i have one friend that did it as a gift instead but that was it

• Kelly
    Curious February 2020 British Columbia
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Personally I think it's a nice thing to do if you can afford it. I have been a bridesmaid several times where the bride was a student at the time and couldn't afford to pay for hair and makeup for the bridesmaids...the cost of being a bridesmaid really adds up between flights to the wedding (if you're travelling), dress, hotel, shoes, and then hair and makeup, for some weddings I ended up shelling out over $1000 for one weekend. It's one less thing for the bridesmaid to worry about on an already pretty expensive weekend for her.

• Allison
    Curious June 2021 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've been in 2 weddings to date.

The first bride paid for both our hair and makeup, the other paid for our hair.

I think it's a great gift in lieu of a physical token since they need their hair + makeup done, but they don't necessarily need a wine glass with their name on it or whatever other little token you might get.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The general rule is that if it is optional then they pay, if it is mandatory then you pay. If you pay (either way), you could use this as your gift to them though?

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It is really up to you, and what is in your budget.

I paid for all my girls because I got a wicked deal. They also bought their own dresses. So I felt that was a good gift for them.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It’s up to you! I’m paying for my sisters dress, hair and make up as part of her thank you gift. For a larger wedding party, I definitely wouldn’t have been able to afford to pay for all the ladies dresses, hair and make up though
  • Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's completely up to you, I chose to pay for makeup services for my bridesmaids and our groomsmaids because my makeup artist had a required minimum number of services in order to travel to site. I booked someone who is I think out of the price range for some of my girls so I decided to just pay for all of their makeup. As for hair they're going to be doing their own (or helping each other) because I don't really care how their hair is done and some of them are wizards with a curling wand

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it's a nice gesture to pay for the hair and makeup, unless you're ok with people doing their own or going to their own stylist. If you want consistency in their looks then you will likely want a pro and should at the very least chip in for their hair and makeup.
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's completely up to you. But if the bride is going to require them to have it done then they should pay for it, or at least one or the other. Some in the bridal party may be comfortable enough doing it themselves and maybe help out with a couple of the others too.

I'm not having a bridal party, but I did ask my two best friends that will be getting ready with me if they'd like it done since they will be in a lot of the photos anyway. One of them is doing her own makeup so she's just getting hair done, while the other requested both hair and makeup but she insisted on paying for whichever one is more expensive. So it really depends what you're most comfortable with paying for that's still within your budget.

• M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If your require them to have hair and makeup professionally done then you would pay for it. Alternatively, if it is optional and you are ok with them doing their own hair and makeup, then you aren't obligated to pay for any professional services they opt into.
  • Candice
    Frequent user October 2021 Ontario
    Candice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    If you don’t care if they look picture perfect, you can give them the option to do their own. That way the expense is not a requirement for them, but they will likely wish to pay to have someone else do it for them as it is easier, and honestly, who doesn’t want to look their best.
  • L
    Newbie August 2023 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Lauren ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have 4 bridesmaids, maybe 5 (depending on what our daughter wants to do). That would be crazy expensive. We are trying to not have a super expensive wedding but I’m not sure what’s right these days.
  • Candice
    Frequent user October 2021 Ontario
    Candice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have stood up in a few weddings, I think it all depends. One, the bride actually did everyone’s makeup and her sister did everyone’s hair. So no one needed to pay. Another, the hair was done by a family members but makeup was done by a professional. Everyone had the option of getting it done, so they paid. And another, hair was done by professionals, makeup done by someone who claimed to be professional, but we ended up having to fix everyone’s makeup (even the brides) prior to the ceremony because it was so bad. The bride paid for all of that one.

Honestly I would say it is completely up to you.
    I am paying for it for my bridesmaids but I only have 2 and honestly if I left it up to them, they would do their own and it wouldn’t be very pretty.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics