Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Newbie May 2020 Ontario

Breaking aisle tradition

Laura, on July 26, 2019 at 00:45 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 8
I really don't want everyone to "stand for the bride" when I walk down the aisle. I (personally, not judging anyone) find it an old tradition that creates inequality between the bride and groom and I also hate that only tall people and people on the outside of the row will be able to see.

I plan to have someone anounce that the bride has asked you to remain seated as she walks down the aisle.. but I'm nervous that it will make it awkward, or/and someone/people won't be listening and accidentally stand out of habit. Should I just accept the tradition?? Or what else can I do? Thoughts?

8 Comments

Latest activity by Holly, on July 28, 2019 at 23:20
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I honestly never even thought about it before lol it's not something that really matters to me. When I walked down the aisle everyone did stand but like I said, my husband and I don't think it means anything or really care about that.
    But pretty much like everyone said just mention to your officiant and he/she can make an announcement or something. Like I said before, I never even thought of this so I have no idea how exactly this would be approached.
  • L
    Newbie May 2020 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ooo that's a good idea Caitlin for them to stand for both of us!! It would fit right in with that fact that both of his parents will walk him and both mine will walk me down the aisle.

I think I will wait a bit longer to decide but hearing all of the positive affirmations from you guys has made me think it's not too crazy of an idea, and I feel better about it. Thanks for responding guys!
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You could have your officiant announce it before the beginning of the processional and again where they usually say "Please rise for the bride" instead say "Please remain seated for the bride."

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can have the request made by the Officiant to have the guests seated while walking down the aisle so its not as formal as you want.

In the case that some of the guests feel its something they are used to standing, its a choice they make and choose to have done at every wedding attended.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I get how you see it, and as long as it's announced by the officiant before anybody starts walking down the aisle (wedding I went to had their officiant announce to remind people to not take pictures as the bride and groom pay good money for pictures from their photographer) and it went fine. Only thing I will say is that you can't control if you have somebody who is either hard of hearing or for some reason was late to the ceremony but others around them should be able to pull them down to sit.

Oh - and don't forget to mention phone ringers off!! They only mentioned no pictures at that last wedding and in a panic as the bride was at the alter I had a mini panic because I didn't pull my phone out to take pictures - but I also didn't pull it out to put it on silent!!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its your day and do what you would like- your officiant might just need to emphasize the remain sitting part because people will be expecting please rise and might out of habit

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I totally see where you’re coming from because I had some of the same thoughts like “it’s not fair if people stand for me and not FH”.

If you really want people to stay seated I say do it! You may get a few who still stand out of habit or wanting to see better, but it’s your choice.

An alternative could be to ask people to stand for when FH walks down the aisle too so then it’s equal.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think do what you want, it’s your day but you may very well have people stand anyway so they can see you better. Just be prepared if not everyone follows direction!

Congratulations on your engagement and welcome to WW!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics