Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rachel
Frequent user July 2019 Ontario

Bouquet/garter toss

Rachel, on March 14, 2019 at 11:01 Posted in Wedding reception 0 30
Anyone else out there skipping bouquet/garter toss?
We have opted to skip them both entirely. (Very few single women will be in attendance. Of the single girls, one is 14, one of them is bitter about the fact that she is single and another lost her husband a couple years ago. I felt this isn't the group of single women to single out on our big day. And my FH said he doesn't care to do a garter toss, he finds them awkward and never participates in them at other weddings). People are making a big deal out of the fact that we are skipping these two traditions, I've been told SEVERAL times that these things are "integral parts of the wedding". Am I missing something? Is it really that bad to skip these two things? They hold no meaning to my FH and I...are these traditions really that imprortant???

30 Comments

Latest activity by Donna Yeung, on April 20, 2019 at 05:44
  • Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's up to you whether or not you do them. Like you said, there will be very few single women at your wedding to participate anyway. Instead, you can opt to play different games where you can have everyone participate. A lot of people are breaking away from tradition. Do what makes you feel comfortable =D

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Just skip them. I think they're so tacky and unnecessary. My mom is kind of bummed out that we're skipping those two, but I figured that it's our wedding; not hers. We have to do what we feel comfortable with.

• Lisa
    Newbie August 2020 British Columbia
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You don't have to do it. Especially if it doesn't fit your crowd. I've been to weddings where both have been skipped or just the garter toss.
    Another option I've seen people do instead of a bouquet toss is invite all married couples to the dance floor and slowly the DJ asks them to sit down (any couples married less than one year, five years etc...) so eventually the couple who has been married the longest is left and gets honoured with the bouquet.
  • Taya
    Curious September 2020 Alberta
    Taya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We won't be doing the garter toss as it has made me feel uncomfortable at every wedding I have attended as a guest. Undecided about the bouquet toss though.

Do what makes you happy, traditions are nice but you can make your own traditions too Smiley smile

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing them both because we think they are fun and we have the crowd for it. We don't really care much for traditions so that's not why we are doing it. We are skipping a few typical traditions. Don't let anyone make you feel like you need to have them because it's not their choice. My FHs family was on us about a few things and we just put our foot down told them no and they left it alone. If they aren't happy about it that's their own problem because it's your day not theirs!
  • Cherry
    Devoted October 2019 Quebec
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There will be lots of single ladies in the wedding. So, I might do the bouquet toss (still considering). We won't be doing any garter toss and I won't be wearing any garter.

• Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Could you imagine? If someone stole a piece of my dress, there would be problems!! Apparently people used to basically trample the bride to get to her dress, which is where the garter toss came in. A method of self preservation haha! It cracks me up. A lot of wedding traditions have pretty funny beginninga.
    We thought about doing an anniversary dance and then giving the bouquet to the longest married couple, however, our families are both older families and between the 2 of use we only have one grandparent (my grandma)...and then we realized my FH's great aunt and uncle are the longest married and NO ONE likes them. They are horrible to everyone except for one family member and they blatantly treat him better than everyone else. We decided that as horrible as it sounds, we don't feel like honoring them on our wedding day.
  • Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hahaha "here's the bar where you can find free alcohol! I'll see you in a bit!". I like it.
    I made my own bouquet flowers, so I'm quite attached to my bouquet. I already have a plan of displaying it in our home after the wedding. I originally made a practice bouqet to get the arrangement right before I made mine, and was planning to use it as my toss bouquet...but it had an accident and fell apart. I don't want to make another one, they take HOURS and I have too many other projects. That's when we talked about scratching the tradition and we discovered that neither of us enjoy the tradition of the bouquet/garter toss.
  • Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Great! Thank you! Every wedding I've been to have had one. I have never participated, I think they're kind of silly.
    I'm beginning to think the people in my life have no experience with modern weddings. The number of times I've heard "you're not doing THAT tradition at your wedding?!?!"...I wonder when they'll catch on that we aren't doing MOST traditions at our wedding hahaha
  • Kirsten
    Frequent user October 2025 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am not doing the traditional bouquet toss because I don't like being singled out like that and I want to keep mine tbh. So I am getting cheap flowers and then I'm going to just get any woman to participate and throw a bunch of single flowers or I am going to get a few small ones and give them to the younger girls in the crowd because we have family members are 14 and younger.

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're skipping both too, but so far, no one has said anything about it. Only our DJ was like "Really?" but mostly because I think he wanted to help us pick songs specifically for those things to show off his awesome DJ skillz Smiley xd if anyone notices we're skipping the garter toss, I'll point them to the bar and hopefully that will distract them. If anyone asks about the bouquet, I'll flat out tell them to find their own flowers lol

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Okay, I just read your comment about the origins of these traditions, which is HILARIOUS! could you imagine people tearing bits off your dress? But it also made me think....because there is one circumstance where I think the bouquet toss is a fun tradition, and its done spontaneously as the bride and groom make their grand exit. Not a fan of the modern tradition of rounding up all the singles haha.

Not as common, but a LOVELY gesture if you wanted to do a different version of a bouquet toss, is find out which of your guests have been married the longest, and honour them with the bouquet. Very cute.

• Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Very true! Our wedding is in a barn and we are also having games in the barnyard so that should keep people occupied!
    I made my bouquet, made all the flowers by hand with fabric. It didn't cost much but took 40 hours of my life, I don't really feel like throwing it haha!!
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

SKIP IT! lol I am definitely team "no toss".

Nobody notices when you skip these traditions. They're too gaddam busy having fun on the dance floor or getting excited over the poutine bar that just came out. They'll probably go home and go "oh...did I miss the bouquet toss? did they forget to do it? oh well!" and get on with their lives. Pretty sure the last 5 weddings I went to skipped these and they weren't missed at all.

Also...my bouquet is a whopping $150. Girl, no way am I tossing that thing willy nilly into a crowd!

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is my problem also. My dress is fit and flare, but it is fitted right to my knees. That would be one tight squeeze to try and get up there, in front of everyone.

My family is completely open, which would be ok.. but his not so much lol

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If both you and your FH don't want them. That's the end of it! Honestly I've been to weddings that don't have them and you truly don't miss them! It's not like people will stand around saying "I WONDER WHEN THE BOUQUET TOSS WILL HAPPEN!!!" No one will think that lol!

• Melissa
    Devoted May 2019 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with all of this. Super awkward for the family to be watching, and my dress does NOT allow for garter fetching haha.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are skipping the garter toss, and we are keeping the bouquet toss...but we're going to make my bouquet a scatter bouquet, so when I toss it, everyone will be able to get a flower. Smiley smile

• Amanda
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was initially going to skip both, but my fiance wants to keep the traditions alive.
    I'll be throwing a small bouquet and he will be throwing an extra garter that I bought. But he won't be fetching for it.

Unless we have no time, then I'm skipping them!
  • Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I totally agree about the garter toss being cringeworthy. It's so awkward watching the groom climb up under the bride's gown. Something that should be private on display for all of the family and friends to see. So weird.
    (Plus my dress is very form fitting...not sure how much FH would even get under it to find the garter in front of everyone!!)
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm skipping both! I really don't want to chuck my bouquet at a bunch of single women and do a garter toss in front of my family and friends. I am still wearing a garter, but that'll be just for my FH to know lol

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Those are hilarious background stories to those traditions.

We're also skipping on both. I always found the garter toss cringeworthy and the bouquet toss a bit crazy (some single ladies just go nuts for that bouquet!).

• Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks all!! I was worried I was missing out on something important given everyone's reaction to lack of bouquet/garter toss. I knew I couldn't be alone in my decision though!
    I read a bit about where the tradition came from and apparently the bride throws the garter to prevent people from trying to steal pieces of the dress, as it used to be seen as good luck to have a piece of the bride's clothing from her wedding day. And the bouquet toss was done as a distraction for the bride and groom to escape to the bridal chambers. Definitely not something I'm concerned about!
    I am sticking with my original decision!!
  • Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awesome!! I'm glad I'm not alone! (Though I knew I couldn't possibly be!!).
    I will stick to my original decision!!
  • Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It is completely up to you. The way I look at it, your day, your decision.

I have to go through our guest list to see how many are single on both sides. I have contemplated not doing it. It will also depend on my FH and if he wants to do the garter toss or not. I feel like it would be weird to do one and not the other.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be having them both but that's completely my and my FH's decision.

If it doesn't make sense to do them and you don't quite care to do them then by all means skip it! (If it helps any, I won't be having many single people at my wedding and I don't care if there is only one person standing behind me to catch it!!)

• K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't do the tosses either and from what I've seen on WW many other couples are doing away with this "tradition" as well. Most people aren't even going to notice the omission and it will still be very much a wedding without them!

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are not having either one, although my FMIL is making me a garter out of tie from my FH's father who passed away last year. As a guest I never wanted to participate in the bouquet toss anyway.

• Meghan
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We aren't having one either...actually in the 3 weddings I've been to in the last few years, only 1 did the tosses.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nope. Not having one.
    Stick with your decision.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics