Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Brett
Curious July 2020 Saskatchewan

Booze

Brett, on May 22, 2020 at 19:04 Posted in Wedding reception 0 19
Would it be tacky or inappropriate to ask people attending our small (immediate family and wedding party) ceremony and reception to
Bring their own booze?

19 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on May 31, 2020 at 22:29
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I mean personally i wouldnt like it. if its a small wedding you can get a few bottles for your family at least thats how i see it

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think you can make it BYOB and also provide a boozy punch for those who might forget.
  • Patricia
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Patricia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think so. Just make it clear you won't be providing any! Honestly if they are your close friends and family they shouldn't care!

• Karley
    Curious September 2020 Nova Scotia
    Karley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It really depends on the people, but would it be possible for you to supply wine and beer and let people know that if they want any hard alcohol they'll have to bring it themselves? We recently went to a wine kit store and made 30 bottles of wine for our wedding for under $150!!

• A-W
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    A-W ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I know a couple who had a BYOB backyard wedding and it went down just fine. Some of the older people grumbled a bit but all of the younger ones were too busy dancing to care (they had speakers and a tent). I think it depends on how much the people invited drink. Being included in the day will make people feel special enough, especially since it is such a small crew. You could even just have a dry wedding.
  • Lindsay
    Curious July 2022 Ontario
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Maybe a fundraiser? I know lots of couples that have raffled off a basket of booze. Have each member of your wedding party donate a bottle (or the equivalent amount), sell tickets to co-workers, facebook friends, etc for $10 each and then use that money to buy wine or ingredients for a signature cocktail for your reception.

Might be a good compromise - you're providing a drink for your guests, but if they don't like what you have they could still bring their own.

Honestly, if I got invited to a 20 person wedding I'd just be happy I made the cut! I wouldn't care if I was asked to bring my own drinks!

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ah I see, sorry thought you wanted a toonie bar.

I think you can ask for BYOB but in my opinion as the host, you should also provide some otherwise it would seem tacky. Maybe you can ask people to bring wine and liquor while you supply beer.
  • Brett
    Brett ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I am not charging for drinks. My mom might want to but I do not
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Did you see my link? There's a specific permit for recouping alcohol costs and those are applicable to family functions and valid in any unlicensed space.

• Brett
    Brett ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m not in Ontario so that site is useless to me. And there will be no official invite for our ceremony since it will only be immediate family and our wedding party. My mother does not want to have the ceremony at her house because we wouldn’t be able to charge for drinks and she doesn’t want to pay for 20 peoples booze. Thus my idea for BYOB but she thinks that’s tacky. So I’m stuck.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

BYOB is what you want to do, it should be indicated on the invite so that your guests bring enough for everyone or themselves.

Apparently, agco.ca site allows you to have the license for private events if you try that process. Its the same day for $150. Try it out and see if you get through.

• Eden
    Frequent user August 2021 British Columbia
    Eden ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My friend had a backyard camping-themed wedding that was byob. I think it's fine if you know your guests or family members like to consume incredibly large amounts of alcohol. It would have cost her a fortune to supply enough alcohol for her guests.

While the byob aspect did not bother me, I thought she could have at least supplied a few bottles of wine for the tables. I can understand not wanting to supply ALL the alcohol but I thought they could have at least done that, but that's just my opinion.

• K
    Devoted August 2021 Nova Scotia
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hmm.. tough to say. If your guest list consists entirely of close friends and immediate family they will probably be quite forgiving, no matter what you decide. But on the flip side, it is a smaller group, so it’s much more financially manageable to provide alcohol than it would be at say a 200 person wedding. If a couple kegs / cases of wine just aren’t in the budget, then go the BYOB route! I think I’d be ok with it as a guest at a more casual wedding - though it is always nicer to be treated. Maybe encourage people to bring their drink of choice but still try to serve something? Ultimately, you should do what’s best for you, your fiancé, and your budget.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Https://www.slga.com/permits-and-licences/liquor-permits/special-occasion-permits/cost-recovery

This is the permit for family functions.
  • Brett
    Brett ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    They won’t issue one if the event is being held in a private residence.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You don't need a liquor license, just a permit. Here's the one for Saskatchewan
    https://www.slga.com/permits-and-licences/liquor-permits/special-occasion-permits/sale

You would still need someone qualified to serve the liquor though. And of course, you're liable until they're sober.
    I personally would rather get a limited supply of alcohol (or just beer and wine) than to ask guests to BYOB.
    In Ontario, any unopened liquor can be returned to the LCBO. You should check if that's the case with Saskatchewan's liquor store.
  • Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ohh I see. Wish I could provide you more insight but perhaps have a few things around for people? Or if booze is completely out of budget then maybe have non alcoholic drinks?
  • Brett
    Brett ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It’s in a backyard there for can’t get a liquor license. Therefore we can’t charge anything.
  • Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It really depends to be honest but if I was invited as a guest and told to bring my own booze I’d be a bit disappointed. Perhaps offer toonie bar as an alternative?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics