Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Megan
Curious April 2022 Ontario

Booking an officiant for symbolic wedding

Megan, on August 12, 2020 at 20:18 Posted in Ontario 0 4

Hi Everyone!

So long story short, my fiance and I were originally supposed to have a destination wedding in Mexico in May of this year and because we didn't want to go through the hassle of having medical tests and paying for our marriage papers to be translated into English, we decided to legally tie the knot at home 2 months before our wedding day.

Well.... then the whole world shut down 2 weeks after we signed the papers and cancelled our trip so now we are stuck with being legally married but never had a wedding. We recently decided to plan a wedding here instead and our new wedding date is April 3, 2021 but we are stuck on what to do about an officiant. I really don't want to have to pay the same amount for an officiant again and I'm wondering if anyone knows any officiants that do symbolic ceremonies for a smaller price here in the London Ontario area? I only ask if there are cheaper options as we would not need the marriage license signing since it's already been done. Most of our guests already know that we're legally married but I'd still like it to look and feel like a normal wedding day with us saying our vows and such (we literally did the legal stuff in our living room and the whole "ceremony" lasted not even 5 minutes).

If anyone knows anyone or places that would officiate, let me know!! Smiley smile

4 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on August 13, 2020 at 12:31
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My thoughts are agreed with the comments about going non-officiant to make it easier. Your wedding has taken place and getting someone for a short time to just stand there to say the same thing as an Officiant. It seems paying twice isn't worth to have someone official leaving the signatures out.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

TBH, if you just want someone to play the part so the day feels like a regular wedding, how about hiring an actor? I'm sure there are tons of non-union actors who normally do community theatre that would do it for a small fee.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with Arexy, I would ask someone close to you who is comfortable with public speaking or even a few people to split the ceremony. You can find ceremony wording examples online to pick the vibe you want.
  • Arexy
    Devoted October 2020 Ontario
    Arexy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Instead of paying someone to do a symbolic ceremony, why don’t you ask a friend or a family member to do the symbolic ceremony? You’re already legally married, so you really don’t need an officiant who can legally perform ceremonies. Just a thought!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics