Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Leah
Frequent user April 2017 Quebec

Bilingual ceremonies

Leah, on March 26, 2017 at 09:24 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 6

We are doing a bilingual ceremony because I am from Ontario and he is from Quebec. My family and most friends coming only speak English. his side is a mix of bilingual people and only French speakers.

We decided to alternate between French and English without our officiant, who is my friend, having to repeat in both languages. There are 3 parts though where she will do it in both languages.

I have the whole text written up in English and I can have it all done in French so I might post it or provide it after the ceremony. I don't want people to be reading it during the ceremony since they would read ahead.

Anyone else having to do multiple languages? I went to my friend's wedding that was done entirely in Hindi other than asking the witnesses to come up and sign (I was a witness).

6 Comments

Latest activity by Justine, on November 26, 2019 at 12:36
  • J
    Newbie December 2019 Ontario
    Justine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is exactly my situation at the moment! Is it possible to get a copy of what you said? That would help us tremendously! Just trying to assure that everyone understands at least some of what is going on hahaa.. Thanks so much!

• Talita
    Frequent user January 2018 Ontario
    Talita ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Interesting... it doesn't seem so complicated as I was thinking.

• Leah
    Frequent user April 2017 Quebec
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He's saying his I do and vows in French. Me in English. The rest is mostly two sentences in English then 2 in french. Alternating without repeating whats already been said except for 3 places
  • Talita
    Frequent user January 2018 Ontario
    Talita ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was thinking about that, making English and Portuguese but I had no idea on how to make that work so I was giving up on that idea already. I'd really appreciate some ideas or advice if you guys have any. I just don't want to make the cerimony so long though and we will be reading vows as well, in English since he's Canadian and I'm Brazilian.

• Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My cousin is doing her wedding half in English and half in Jewish! It will be very interesting!

• Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would like to have it be part English, and then part Spanish for my side of the family. They speak/understand French more than English but David's family is mostly anglophone, as well as our friends. Not sure how I'll write it in yet though, but your idea sounds great to me and probably similar to what I'd do!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics