Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Daily
Expert August 2022 Ontario

Between ceremony and reception

Daily, on March 31, 2021 at 18:15 Posted in Wedding reception 0 11
I need some opinions. Say my ceremony is at 3:30 or 4pm but I only want it for 30 mins. Then I would like to go to the park to take photos. What should I do with my guests? I don’t have appetizers for the reception. Just the main courses, tea, wine and deserts. What Should I DO with my guests for that ONE hour while we’re doing wedding photos? Please help!!

11 Comments

Latest activity by Daily, on April 2, 2021 at 13:53
  • Daily
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Totally understand. I want my guests to have a great time. We’ll see I have plenty of time to make adjustment.
  • Daily
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hahaha!! No worries. I already hear my Asian mother voice in my head. Totally understand! I’ll talk to my venue about adding appetizers before we have dinner. Hopefully things we get better next year.
  • S
    Frequent user February 2022 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    1 hour is such a short....but can seem like a very LONG period of time without any direction. Some people may live close enough to go home. But some people may not. If it was me as a guest I wouldn't go home. It seems like a waste to me. For the cost to extend and have a cocktail hour seems well worth it to me. No your wedding isnt about the guests experience. But it is. I want my guests at my wedding to feel appreciated (not sure if this is the right term) they are invited to my wedding because they have all been a large part of my life qnd have also been a big part of my relationship with my FH. We are having a small wedding. 90 people. But i 100% appreciate every person we have invited to our special day. Ill pay for cocktail hour. Its 100 % about giving my guests a good experience.
  • C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm now going to sound like my Jewish mother - I agree - if they are just hanging in the venue for an hour, this is a cocktail hour; I'd definitely make sure they have food and drink - especially if it's during covid and guests are seated at all times at their tables. We had a DIY photobooth for after dinner and speeches (with rules given covid) but you could also set one up that would start then?
  • Daily
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Kim. We do have cash bar and each table would have a bottle of wine. Well see if ill add appetizers.
  • Daily
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Amanda. Sampling wine is nice!!
  • Daily
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My Asian mother**
  • Daily
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Omg!! You sound like Asian mother and work mother!!😂 but I do see your point. The ceremony and reception will be at the same location, however the flower garden/ park is 15 mins drive. That reminds me of my sisters wedding, we keep taking photos and my mother keep saying, the guests are hungry.😂😂😭😭. I think I’ll ask my venue if they can do some appetizers. I don’t know how much they’ll charge me.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm going to disagree with the sentiments expressed so far. I mean, yes, it's not the end of the world if guests are left alone at the venue for an hour (possibly more because couples can get carried away with picture taking). But if I'm just standing around without a drink wondering what's going on, it can be weird. And not everyone is a social butterfly. I guess worst case scenario, everyone can just be glued to their phones for an hour but that doesn't make you a good host.

It really depends on where you are and what's around you. Is your ceremony and reception the same venue? In Amanda's case, she has everyone at a giant winery that can do tastings. That works. If you're going to a different venue between events but they're all in a busy area like Byward Market, and you want to run off to the Rideau River for some pictures, I think you'll be fine. But if you're at a golf course in the middle of nowhere and won't be serving anything to guests while you run off, that would be awkward.

If your guests are local and you're having a ceremony in a venue separate from the reception where both are out in the middle of nowhere, make the gap bigger so people can go off and do their own thing (whether it's going home and coming back, going to a bar together for a bit or whatever). If it's at the same venue and you're offering an open bar, extend the hours so that it covers the photo hour.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You really don't need to do anything for them in my opinion. They can find things to do for that our while you guys are taking picures and what not. Most of the time us adults are good at mingling until dinner lol

For my fiance and I our ceremony is at 330pm and will be done by 4pm as well. Our cocktail hour doesn't start until 515pm. For us our package includes our guests are able to sample bottles of wine in between or they can have a wine tour or even just mingle with the other guests and enjoy the venue.
  • Kim
    Devoted June 2022 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think you really need to do anything for them, they can all mingle and do what they'd like. Adults are typically better at entertaining themselves. If you're not having a cocktail hour or serving appies, they can figure it out on their own.

Alternatively, depending on the venue, you could put out some lawn games or just have some music playing.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics