Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Devoted August 2018 Ontario

Best way to clean an engagement ring

Megis, on May 9, 2018 at 22:14 Posted in Before the wedding 0 24
I know that jewelry cleaning should be done by a professional to avoid damages. But I was wondering if there is a safe way to clean an engagement ring yourself.

Main thing is just cleaning the loop area of my ring. It got kind of gunky with regular wear from skin and body oils. Ring is white gold.

Have you needed to clean your ringcand how did you do it?

24 Comments

Latest activity by James, on July 5, 2023 at 09:53
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My jeweller requires me to get it cleaned by them (for free) once per year, to make sure they can honour my "diamond guarantee", where if they setting is damaged and/or diamond falls out, they replace it as "insurance".

I've only cleaned my ring "properly" once (in 5 months, eek, haha)... but all I did was fill a shot glass with a bit of windex, let it sit a minute, then took an old toothbrush and scrubbed it, then rinsed it off. Seems a little make-shift, but my sister has quite a bit of gold/diamond jewelry and she swears by it.

It sparkled like crazy after, too!

• Sara
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Most sinks have a U-shaped pipe, so worse case scenario you have to take apart you pipes under the sink - gross and a pain if you ask me haha - and then find it that way.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Could you imagine?! Yikes. I normally don't hold my engagement ring over the sink while I do this; I hold it over a face cloth on the counter instead.

• Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is what my jeweler recommended I do with my engagement ring and then my wedding band.

Using a toothbrush to get in between all the crooks and crannies of the band/crown/diamond with dish soap and warm water.

I was told: MAKE SURE YOU BLOCK OFF THE SINK lol so like put a towel at the bottom of the sink and then clean it then - the last thing you would ever want is for the ring to fall down the drain

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My engagement ring came with care instructions that said it could be brushed softly with a toothbrush using gentle dish soap, and warm water. While I haven't used a toothbrush, I've cleaned mine with paper towel, gentle hand soap, and warm water.

• M
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah I wasn't too keen on soaking my ring. Was just going to use a cloth and gentle soapy water
  • BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I went to the jeweler to get mine cleaned and this is exactly what she said to do for 95% of rings. She told me to avoid the soaking part on mine because of the type of gem (It's a lab made sapphire, and apparently lab made gems like that are more sensitive to heat. Soaking could risk cracking or splitting it. Diamonds don't have that issue according to the jeweler).

If your engagement ring is silver/white gold (I think you mentioned white gold), go check out a local music shop for a good quality flute polishing cloth. Flutes are silver plated and scratches and damage can effect the sound quality, so they are designed to be gentle on the plating and not cause scratches. I have used them on my engagement ring for close to a year now without issue.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for this! I checked it out and bought myself some!!!
  • Kayla
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I just soak mine in hot water with a bit of dish soap, then scrub gently with a soft toothbrush and rinse.

Works great when i need a clean and don't have time to go to the jeweler.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I haven't cleaned mine much yet but every time I go to Peoples I get them to do a free quick clean on my way! There's one in almost every mall I go to so it's not too bad!
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The jewelry store where we bought our rings does free cleanings, but they are tough for me to get to because they are in the opposite direction of work! In between pro cleanings I use a good cleaner I got from Amazon!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014LU4FA/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_1_w

• Marleau
    Marleau ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I just soak my white gold ring in warm/hot water and a natural multi purpose cleaner. My ring style get dirty quite quickly and it’s to much to take to a jewelry store all the time.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I usually take it to my jeweler who gives me free cleanings for it as it was purchased from his store. Otherwise I know you can buy at home ring cleaning kits that come with a solution you soak the ring in and then just rinse off.

• K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Maybe too much soap or not a good enough rinse? Ive never had a problem, but if you've got a good cleaner you're happy with then by all means, that's great Smiley smile

• Stacey
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Stacey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’ve tried it once with dish soap with a different ring that was a gem surrounded by diamonds and it left soapy residue and film on the exterior of the ring. After I purchased some jewelry cleaner and that seemd to do a better job at cleaning away any residing dirt.
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Toothpaste and an old toothbrush!!! That's how I clean most of my jewellery. Smiley smile Good luck!
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have it- they're amazing.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm totally going to People's to buy this jewelry cleaning kit tomorrow Smiley smile

• M
    Newbie October 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I soak my ring overnight in a dish with hot water and rinse it off. The next morning it sparkles so much!

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I bought some jewellery cleaner from People's for like $20. It comes with a brush and a dish to clean them. I love it and it works well, especially because I can get into all the grooves with the brush they give.

If you go to a People's store, you can ask them to clean your jewellery for free too. I bring in tons of things for them to clean, some not even purchased at the store and they'll do it all!

• K
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes it's safe! Always has a nice sparkle to it afterwards Smiley smile

• M
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Do you know if it's safe to soak it if it has diamonds?
  • Renee
    Renee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Samsies! Works like a charm
  • K
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I just soak mine in a shallow dish of hot water and dish soap for 5 - 10 minutes then rinse and rub with a clean cloth.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics