Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Phaidra
Frequent user October 2019 Alberta

Best diy reception music playlist?

Phaidra, on August 30, 2018 at 18:05 Posted in DIY 2 9

Hey fam,
We're looking at making a music playlist for the evening in lieu of getting a DJ. I'm sure DJs have a lot of pros over getting a playlist, but we just don't want to use our budget for that. #sorrynotsorry

SO, Playlist makers of the wedding world, what did/will you use for your wedding? Do you have a playlist you'd be willing to share? How long was your reception? What songs are your absolute musts?

I just want to dance the whole night away, so someone is going to have to help me craft a playlist that is a balance of 90's dance jams and like..actual music from this decade.

9 Comments

Latest activity by Krista, on January 4, 2021 at 12:51
  • Krista
    Beginner June 2021 Alberta
    Krista ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a Spotify play list that we have created. Half the songs are ones we like and chose, and the other half are the songs our guests requested when they RSVP'd.

• Sheena
    Beginner November 2018 Queensland
    Sheena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm fortunate to have parents who own their own karaoke business, so when the day comes I already have the music I want played so all my dads gotta do is plug it into his machine and away we go ☺
  • Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I completely agree with Spotify if your love king to skip the DJ. They also have some good premade playlists with different feels. If your leaning to using a playlist I would suggest keep that phone on airplane mode if using a phone to avoid static feedback over the speakers. And to keep those specific songs easy to find I suggest saving them as a separate playlist so the person running music can find them easily.

I am using Spotify playlists for getting ready music with my girls and for ceremony music. I will save them as serperate lists and a 3rd one for the specific songs (bridal party walk, my walk, etc).
  • M
    Newbie August 2018 Alberta
    Marie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We made several playlists for our wedding from pre-ceremony through to the end of the night using Apple Music. We bought a super cool speaker with stand and microphone inputs from Costco that has Bluetooth and away we went! It was awesome! We had a small wedding so bigger ones might need another speaker. My playlists were in order and easy to follow and had someone manage the music until I took over at my reception, which was easy because the playlist was all set up well. I just paused for speeches and adjusted the volume as needed. I did stress over the music component of my wedding at first but am super happy we did it the way we did. Every song was hand picked by us and for us. It was time consuming to put the playlists together but was a lot of fun doing it and so worth it!
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We had a designated 'music' person to run the music for us the day of.
    We gave him our phone with the music lists on spotify. (A laptop would work too!) He was in charge of making sure the right song played at the right time during the ceremony and putting the playlists on for cocktail hour and the dance mix.
    We only had one first dance song so we just put that at the start of our playlist.
    You could have someone starting and stopping the music as necessary and putting on the right song for your events?
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love this... strongly considering.... my only worry is theres a few specific songs to be playing during certain events (first dances, mu fiances family does a celebration song) how does that work? I guess just pause the playlist and search for that separate? Did you have it playing off a laptop?
  • Maegan
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Honestly in my opinion a DJ isnt worth it. It was SO EASY to make a playlist (you gotta pay for spotify premium which is like $10/month or something to avoid adds) and then plug it in and push play.
    Also there is a feature on spotify where you can decrease the lapse time between songs so theres no pause and they just roll one into another like a dj would do...
    We asked for song requests on our rsvps so guests got some say in the music that went onto the list Smiley smile
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for sharing this!!!! Were in the DJ hunt now and honestly... the cost is dragging me down. Seems rough to pay a grand to have someone make sure music keeps playing? Will check out your list!!!
  • Maegan
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Here is the Spotify dance playlist we made for our wedding. Its a solid mix of 90s, classic rock, country, pop/alternative and some classic dance songs. Very upbeat list with a couple slow songs mixed in. Meant to be played in order, not on shuffle (the first song was our first dance).
    We had a lot of compliments on the music as it does cater to all ages and audiences.

BUT the list is way too long. We only made it through the first half of the list which was too bad because a lot of the funner music was on the back end. So the list needs some revamping. We kicked off our dance party about 8:00? Which was about an hour later than planned and shut the party down about 12:30 when everyone was gone to bed or no longer dancing.

Best diy reception music playlist? 1

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics