Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rayanne
Master June 2022 Ontario

Best. Day. Ever. That wasn't yours....

Rayanne, on July 13, 2021 at 00:34 Posted in WeddingWire 0 4
So I think most of us have been to a wedding or two before. Which one really stands out? What made it seem like the best wedding you'd ever been to?

I think my favourite wedding was my best friends wedding. I wasn't in the wedding party because I lived far away and I knew I wouldn't be able to go to any of the before parties or help in any way so I went as a guest only. I think it was fun because I brought a friend as my guest and we laughed a lot. The music was so much fun to dance to. It was just a fun night.
I hope my wedding can be fun like her wedding was. I want good music and for guests to get up on the dance floor.
I guess the other part to this question would be what is the worst wedding you ever been to and why? Is there something that you are doing everything you can to avoid because it just went so wrong?
I think the worst was a wedding where the air conditioning broke. It was August and horribly hot weather. Couldn't dance could barely breath, the cake and the dessert melted before anyone could have any. Most people left early just because it was just too hot.v

4 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on July 16, 2021 at 20:00
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Best wedding attended was my cousin who lost her father a few years back on New Years day and his picture was put on the bouquet she held. The feeling of having other brothers (close family growing up) of 12 others to walk her down the aisle. She made it so family is one that makes the memories special. Worst wedding as an teenager attending a local wedding reception which felt boring because of the speeches and story with video clips shown of the couple coming as one. Dancing didn't seem to be as enjoyable as guests were probably leaving once the dance floor opened up late 10pm.
  • Clauds
    Frequent user August 2020 Ontario
    Clauds ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Best wedding was also my best friend's. I was the maid of honour (my first time doing so!). There were so many reasons for it being the best:

I'm friends with a lot of the guests who I don't see too often so it was fun to catch up and drink and dance.

The venue was in Kleinberg and so beautiful and it was fun taking photos. There was also a beautiful garden area connected to the venue where we could go and sit and chat with others if we wanted fresh air. This was in August and the weather was beautiful.

It was fun giving a speech even though I was terrified! But it was well received by guests and I was proud of myself as I hate public speaking. All the speeches in fact were great! The parent's speeches in particular were a hoot.

Worst wedding was my cousin's wedding.

My mom and I had to take the train to Ottawa and we really didn't know most of the guests.

There was no open bar.

Most of the guests were older and it also seemed like most of them didn't really know one another.

It was just awkward in general as no one was dancing or really mingling. A lot of the older guests were also asking my mom why I didn't have a boyfriend at the time even though I was probably only 21 at the time?!

Food wasn't the best.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    First wedding sounds awesome. Second oh man that's awkward. I think my guest list is full of like minded individuals that are ready for a party after so long. Neither one of us want a bunch of speeches so we have a 5 minutes max for the 5 speeches (one being our thank you for coming/welcome speech). We will let our BM, MOH and parents do a speech if they wish. I definitely agree with you about it being the people you are with that makes it a special night.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Best wedding I've been to was my Best Man's and his wife. I was a groomsman and everyone on the bridal party just clicked. We all worked together and made that day work. There was plenty of food that was served on time. Speeches were short and sweet and dinner service was punctuated with fun and games. For those who preferred conversation over dancing later in the night, there was an area that was furnished where we could just sit and be mellow. We laughed, we ate, and we partied. It was great times.

Worst wedding I've been to was pure awkwardness. It just goes to show that you can have the perfect setting, the most delicious food and an amazing band and the wedding can still be a terrible experience for your guests because of the people involved.

First, it was very painfully obvious that the bridal party weren't that close to the couple and the speeches showed. Half of them identified as work related people instead of friends. Yet for whatever reason, every. single. member. of the bridal party was asked to make a speech, individually.

Second, only the groom's family seemed to exist. Despite the bride's side being in attendance, they didn't come in the grand entrance, made no parental speeches, nor joined the parental dance. The bride didn't even acknowledge them in her speech! The groom's parents, however, decided to use the wedding podium as their stage for a super long speech to promote their family business, recount all the groom's siblings' success stories, and lecture the bride on how she has a duty to support their son in upholding their family's legacy (barf).

As a result of all the above shenanigans, dinner service ended up running for four hours (!!!) with a looooooooong lull in between courses to accommodate the speeches. My partner and I left not long after dinner service.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics