Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jen
VIP June 2018 Ontario

Bar question

Jen, on May 13, 2017 at 20:48 Posted in Wedding reception 0 11

Hey everyone. We need your help. We are trying to save money and are currently talking about the bar during the reception. Is it tacky to have cocktail hour and dinner open bar and then make it cash bar after that? We want to make a bar sign explaining this but aren't sure how to word it. Please help!

Reception bar

Reception bar

11 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 10, 2018 at 12:04
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have to a cash bar wedding and its not tacky. If the bar time is restricted and having to pay more after, its not worth it. Cash bar is since not every guest will be drinking and kids if invited.
  • Ginelle
    Beginner May 2018 Manitoba
    Ginelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What you could do is have 2 bottles of wine on the tables and then have a cash bar

• Samantha
    Newbie September 2018 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Were having a glass of champagne for the toast but it'll be cash bar all night and we're including prices on invitations. Maybe if you haven't sent them yet you can let them know prices and times for open bar etc
  • Tiffany
    Devoted October 2017 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are thinking we are going to have an open cocktail hour and wine on the tables during dinner. but cash bar afterwards -- haven't thought about how to inform guests of this though..

• Alexa
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Alexa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Good afternoon!

I have been thinking the same thing and I personlly think it is not tacky as long as guests know ahead of time the plan. I am going with buying own alcohol but need to pay a corkage fee to do it about $4.25 per person and guests just need to pay you the amount you set Smiley smile

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone! We have decided to do a cocktail hour where drinks are on us as well as our signature drinks offered throughout the whole night on us as well. We have talked about putting wine on our tables but have found with many weddings that we have gone to that the wine is often left open on the tables and unused. Which is a waste of $26 per bottle for us. We believe this is the easiest way to be able to still offer our guests something without breaking the bank. We have two signature drinks planned! One is call "The Nana Lucy" (after his nana who just passed in March) which is just a gin and tonic (her drink that she always had at home and at special occassions) and "Felix Felicis- Liquid Luck" which is just a peach bellini. We are having a slight Harry Potter theme and needed to throw a fun name on one of the drinks!

• Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You could do a cash bar but provide all the guest with something like 2 or 3 drink tickets to cover the cocktail hour and maybe have a bottle of wine on the tables for supper and after that they are on their own. It isn't tacky at all. Smiley smile

• Louise
    Devoted September 2017 Quebec
    Louise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Why don't you have 1-2 hours after dinner where you have open bar? I feel like people will be too interested in going to the bar instead of eating their meal and listening to the speeches. I assume there will be wine at the tables?
    Obviously you know your guests the best Smiley smile
  • Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not tacky but also you don't want people rushing to the bar while they're supposed to be eating or listening to speeches. I would suggest maybe drink tickets or a toonie bar, so you save but there's no motivation for guests to hurry it up. And just letting people know that in invitations or on the website.
  • Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having a cash bar with wine on tables for toasting... We put cash bar on the reception card inserts, so people know to bring money.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't think it's tacky. As long as your guests are aware of how things will be working I think you'll be fine.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics