Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amanda
Featured August 2022 British Columbia

Bar Options

Amanda, on June 15, 2022 at 20:41 Posted in Wedding reception 0 25

What are you and your significant other choosing to do with your bar option?

Are you going with a Cash Bar, Toonie Bar, Loonie Bar or a Host Bar?

Every couple is different and how their budget will accommodate whichever option they choose and the reasonings behind them.

My fiance and I have chosen to go with a Cash Bar for a few reasons. One, it eliminates having us having to deal with paying for all of the alcohol at the end of the evening and and having a shock when we see the final bill. And two, we know that since both sides of the family are Ukrainian, they can drink a lot. This way if they have to pay for their own drinks, they might think twice about putting down their drink somewhere, forgetting about it and getting another one. Also it might bring our guests to realize that paying 9 dollars for a drink, they might think twice about having a tone of drinks throughout the evening.

25 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on July 4, 2022 at 11:27
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think that's a great option and totally agree with the less stress part!
  • Julie
    Featured May 2023 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing a host bar. Majority of our guests all drink lol Only looked into packages with open bar. Just less stress.
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think that's a great idea and a great compromise

• D
    Devoted September 2022 Alberta
    Derek ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are going with a host bar for ours. Reason being, there are too many different tastes among the guests (estimated number about 100 total) and it was too difficult to accommodate that. At first we had planned to have a bottle of red and a bottle of white wine on each table, but at 13 tables we decided there might be a good amount of that wasted. So we decided on a host bar that would allow guests to get a bottle of wine and bring it to the table if they wanted it. This way not as much is wasted.

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think that's a great idea!
  • V
    Beginner July 2022 Saskatchewan
    Vhjbg ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are buying one drink for each person, and people are paying for everything after the first drinks
  • C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We can't afford an open bar, so cash bar, we may just have our signature drinks free instead, we have three pets so we will have two drinks and a shot. My cat's name is Pablo so may do a tequila shot for him, Tyson will be my signature drink the WOOWOO and my FH's will be Gunner our other dog and his signature drink is an Old fashions.

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think that's a great compromise to have a open bar for cocktail hour and then cash bar for the reception! Great idea!
  • Amanda
    Curious September 2023 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’ve opted to have an open bar for cocktail hour , and the rest will be cash bar. Realistically we can’t afford an open bar, and I would rather put the money from that towards bringing more guests Smiley smile
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think that's a great compromise to have your guests have a few free drinks to start

• Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We actually really lucked out, our venue drinks are only 6.50$ for any type of drink (beer, wine, hard liquor) so we are opting for a cash bar with a couple drink tickets per person. We figure the price is fair I wouldnt feel bad paying that price but also still giving our friends and family a couple free drinks.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Definitely took the stress down a lot.
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think that's a great idea for everyone to have 6 drink tickets!
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think that's a great idea if you know your guests don't drink alot
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's great that you had everything paid for before the big day!

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

One-bill policy isn't too bad!

• Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Since our reception is a bit different than what a wedding normally does, we decided to do a host bar. We have a minimum spend of $4,500 and food for everyone will barely cover half. So I did some math, found the average price of drinks at our dinner venue and came up with the number 6. Each of the 30 people invited will have 6 drink tickets where they can get any drink they want for no cost. This does not include people who do not drink possibly giving away their drink tickets, which most likely will happen.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We went with an open bar. I only looked at venues that had all inclusive pa kaged. I didn't want the surprise at the end of the night. We had everything paid for before the day. We had people who hardly drank and some that really enjoyed the open bar lol
  • Yami
    Frequent user October 2022 Ontario
    Yami ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re doing a host bar since we’re only inviting 50 guests and they’re mostly family that don’t drink much! 🍻🥂
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We would've done an open bar but half our guests didn't drink so we had a host bar instead.

• Jacquie
    Frequent user August 2022 Alberta
    Jacquie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're doing a host bar. Our venue has a one-bill policy during dinner, and we decided might as well just continue it. Since we're having a wedding of under 40 guests and some don't really drink, I'm not expecting too large of a bill.
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh I totally agree when it comes to the venue providing!

It can defiantly add up for sure!

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Which totally makes sense and I've always found that when the venue takes care of the bar, drinks are more expensive. We had to stock everything for the bar ourselves which can be expensive but thankfully my dad paid for the alcohol up front
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

$4 dollars isn't bad at all! Since our venue is providing all of the alcohol and it's all their wine and all local booze, it's more expensive for us.

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did a cash bar with $4 drinks. We wanted guests to be able to have some drinks without spending a lot of money but we also didn't want them to be careless with their drinks. Our guests seemed happy with $4 drinks.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics