Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alycia
Expert March 2020 Ontario

Band Vs DJ?

Alycia, on February 24, 2019 at 12:34 Posted in Wedding reception 0 27

Keep trying to weight the pros and cons of each to decide. I never gave much thought to my wedding day before getting engaged and this decision feels like a biggie. We originally wanted to make a simple playlist as the venue we first looked at had an amazing sound system and the event coordinator said he used that all the time for his events and its great (trying to keep costs low. I saw sold) BUT THEN, I visited the venue we ended up finally picking does not have such sound system, we have to now decide between band or DJ

My question to you, is what did you do and why? I know that sometimes it’s just a personal preference, if anyone else out there felt torn between the tow what helped you decide?

Band or DJ?Band Vs DJ? 1

27 Comments

Latest activity by Alycia, on March 1, 2019 at 00:09
  • Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree totally with the fact that the energy and emotion a huge part of the show. We have a few options for bands too, different family members are in bands and both bands are equally awesome, which makes it tough to choose.. still so torn lol

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I’m definitely leaning towards DJ too, we have more options for bands though, but I’m sure finding a good DJ wont be too hard. It’s our next vendor to book too.

• Deborah
    Frequent user August 2020 Ontario
    Deborah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am really torn but FH is adamant he wants a band. We both want to have lots of different genres played (disco, top 40, r&b, indie, classic rock, motown) and I think a band would find it challenging. It's our next vendor to book, and we have yet to fully start researching. Not to mention expense wise DJ's are more economical - if we have a band of 5 people we pay for 5 vendor meals.

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That’s a good point, they can get tired throughout the night plus the variety of genres is more limited for sure!

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Aww, thank you! Smiley smile I really appreciate that

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I hadn’t even looked into it yet, but I keep hearing that and it makes sense. They’re more people, they physically play the music and need breaks, they’re human beings playing instruments lol

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hahaha! NOPE, I don’t know one that could either, thats a really good point lol

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That a great idea with the RSVP cards! I like that DJ’s are cheaper, I wanna save money anywhere I can.

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sounds perfect, we’ll need to look around at DJ’s, I’m leaning towards that more than a band, but we have family in bands, but I agree with the variety of songs is much better with a DJ.

• Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I really wanted a DJ. I am not sure I could trust a band fully to sound good all night, and I want to change up the music genres all night!

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Right?! Whatever you choose, I hope it's exactly what you're looking for. Smiley smile

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm team DJ, but if I had it in the budget I would have gone for a Live Band! The bands we were looking at were literally double the price of a DJ which made it an easy decision for us.

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Music is really important to me and my FH, and we have a pretty broad range of musical preferences, so there was never really an option to have a band. We're going to be playing classic oldies, 70s funk, 80s pop hits, Ukrainian & Lebanese music, nineties throwbacks, reggae, hiphop, and a whole lot of David Bowie. I don't know a band that could keep up with that Smiley xd

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We opted for a DJ because it is lower cost. Bands can also be much louder - but depending on your venue that may not be a problem.

We put song requests on our rsvp cards too so it's just easier to hand those over to a DJ to play I think.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We went with DJ although my FMIL suggested a band.

Bands are more expensive because there’s more people. That was the first con to me.

for me, I’m not a fan of bands for my big day. I’ve always envisioned a DJ that can play a plethora of music which we definitely need as our DJ has to go betweeen polish disco and regular English tunes.

Djs also read the crowd which is huge! They can decide whether to switch between genres, songs, and know how to keep the party going.

our DJ is also a guy my FH worked with and has seen DJ for years so my FH knew his work and knows he will be amazing.
  • Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That’s super useful information! Thanks for this, I’m adding all this info up in my pros and cons list.

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That’s so perfect for you two!! I love it, I really wish we had something like this, we are definitely home bodies lol I would love to get him out more, but he’s comfy at home most.

The few times we do make it out, it’s to see music or comedy show so we should do some brainstorming

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That’s such a great point, I hadn’t thought about his! DJ seems like my best option.

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you for your input!! I’m starting to lean towards DJ for sure.

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, I hadn’t thought about that! So glad I can ask WW community for opinions

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Bands are great if the cost for band numbers and songs played for duration of time sounds right, go for it. Extra cost for more songs and time frame can add up based on your request.

On the other hand, DJ services is one for the duration of the time needed for the whole evening. No extra cost to spend on.

I know when my brother got married back in 2000, from both families, a live band was hired for one event and a DJ for the reception. The cost added up for both combined as to going onto one choice.

• Meghan
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There is a 90’s cover band the FH and I go to see regularly...when we got engaged we knew we wanted to hire them instead of a DJ if the price was right and if they were available. They play a wide range of music and it’s always so much fun when we go to see them.
    we wanted our wedding to be like our favourite way to spend a night out: in a pub watching a live band...our venue resembles a nice bar, and we were able to hire the band!
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FH is a drummer in a band that plays top 40 rock music. They have played stag and does, and birthday parties etc. Don’t get me wrong they were a great band and always had people up dancing, but that’s if everyone is into the music that is being played.
    When having a wedding chances are you have grandparents (who have no idea what music is current unless they are around it), parents who are a little more versed in different genres. And then the younger generation who wants rap, hip hop etc.
    Having a DJ, they are experts in keeping the crowd going, reading the crowd and providing a good variety of music!
    Also, bands take breaks, and then there is no music or background music being played. When a DJ takes a break or needs to step away they can que up songs so there is no break in the music that is being played
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As others have said! DJ has more variety of music that can be played during different times of the evening! I find live bands can be very hard to dance to? So if you're looking to have a party atmosphere after dinner I would strongly suggest a DJ!
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's why we opted for a DJ too. If the band isn't able to play a variety of genres, guests will get bored quickly.

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Really good points!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went with DJ, since they have a broader set of music. They are more likely to be able to be able to play special songs and can play from a variety of genres, so there's something for all our guests.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics