Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner May 2021 Ontario

Backyard wedding with covid restrictions?

K, on January 5, 2021 at 09:14 Posted in Ontario 0 1
Hi all! Like many brides, I'm starting to believe I will have to postpone my May 8th wedding to 2022. However, I still want to be married on May 8th with nearest and dearest. Preferably in my in-law's backyard, since it is a corner lot townhome with a hedge fence.

Reading current restrictions which may or may not still be with us come May, I'm unsure if I can host a 10 person backyard wedding "legally" for fear of neighbours calling bylaw on us. The 10 people would be me, FH, my parents, in-laws, FH's brother (possibly his gf), our officiant, and wedding photographer. If I'm understanding the current rules for Ontario correctly, you cannot host anyone outside your household....so how the heck am I supposed to get married?! I still want a semblance of the wedding we dreamed of.
Has anyone successfully had an intimate backyard wedding in southern Ontario without getting into legal issues? What did your wedding look like? Advice welcome! Thanks so much for reading. ♡

1 Comment

Latest activity by Hank, on January 5, 2021 at 10:03
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The same household rule only applies to indoor gatherings. You're allowed to have 10 people, including officiant and photographer provided physical distancing is possible, in an outdoor setting but you're not allowed to have a wedding in a private dwelling (which means no backyard option). The exemption to the household gathering rule seems to be for religious rite/service/ceremony (which includes a wedding ceremony) for a max of 10 people.

You can also rent a staffed venue with an outdoor option like a golf course, or a community centre/meeting and event space if they have a lawn since they're allowed to operate for "provision of social services." You can't have a reception there though and the event can't be held indoors since that's considered a gathering and people from different households are not allowed.

If current lock down rules are still applicable in May (dear god, I hope not) and you want to go through with the legal ceremony, you pretty much have to rent a space.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics