Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Curious June 2019 Ontario

Backyard reception

Kelsey, on July 3, 2018 at 12:13 Posted in Wedding reception 0 11

So we are having our wedding reception in my parents backyard. Currently i have a hotel about 7 minute drive blocked but we have thought/talked about just crashing at my parents house the night of the wedding.

I would much rather that, then being in a hotel with a bunch of other guests to be honest. and it doesn't seem fair to leave for the night and have either guests still hanging around my parents house or a huge mess left.

i defiantly wouldn't clean up that night, but i don't think its fair to leave other people to clean up at 1am when its our party.

I really don't know if this a good idea though, I'm sure my parents would be more than happy to let us stay there, but i don't want to regret the whole having a "honeymoon suite" and luxurious hotel to wake up to.

11 Comments

Latest activity by Candace, on July 5, 2018 at 00:14
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm sure your parents would love to have you! However it's totally understandable to want to have the honeymoon suite and have that night just the two of you. If you want to go to the hotel and are worried about people sticking around you can always do a big exit/send off. This usually lets guests know that the party has come to an end in a very obvious way Smiley smile
  • Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Talk to your parents first for sure, if you haven't already! Someone mentioned looking into a cleaning crew - this is a great idea and they really are not that expensive! I think it's your wedding night, use it as your opportunity as some alone time for you and your FH! Realistically some people may start to tidy up some of the event that night, but that shouldn't be your concern. Reward yourselves a little for all the hard work you have put into planning your wedding

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There isn't anything wrong by staying at your parents home for the wedding night. They will be more than happy to have you there and save on the hotel cost.

Your all family and its your own home to go as well anytime and not have to worry about anyone driving you or driving yourselves if drinks have been consumed that evening.

Cleaning can be taken care of the next day since your parents will be tired too and want to have some time to themselves as well.
  • Sarah
    Frequent user July 2020 Nova Scotia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Maybe talk to your parents about it? And just see how they feel about it? Honestly if I were having my daughter getting married, I don't know if having them stay in my house and you know consemateing the marriage would be high on my list lol. (Religious family) But really just talk to them Smiley smile it all depends on what you want at the end of the day
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Have you talked to them about it? Anytime my worries come out to our parents about making sure we’re there to help out (farm wedding) they always tell us to just let them take care of it for us. Your parents want to give you the best day ever! Do what makes you happy. I want to go home to my bed on our wedding night. It’s not far from the farm and ppl are camping out so we’ll be back the next day to make breakfast and do some cleaning.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would splurge on it. I'm sure you would just get a whole bunch of comments of "it's your day - you go and we'll clean". It may be a lot of work if you guys get rowdy but it's nothing that parents aren't used to! My parents would probably not even allow me to stay the night at their house - "go be kids, be newly weds!".

• Susy
    Curious August 2018 Ontario
    Susy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hire a cleaning crew! They arent too expensive actually!

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I personally would want to stay in a hotel instead of my parents on the wedding night (and I mean...by the time I get married my fiancé and I will have lived together for 4 years..so its not a newness thing).
    if you are worried about the clean up factor. you can always go in the am. or even hire someone you may know to clean up. I'm sure your parents would understand that clean up will happen in the am.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In my opinion... having a hotel room to go to, alone, something different, and waking up to each other as husband and wife, alone, to be able to take some time, order some room service, enjoy it a bit... Then head back over to your parents house and help clean if necessary.

I was wishy washy about having a hotel that night, but I realized I really wanted it to feel different, and stand out. I feel like waking up at my parent's house wouldn't feel as special.

• K
    Curious June 2019 Ontario
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yeah we could definitely just head over the next morning to help clean up.

Another thing is budget though, its going to suck throwing another 300$ out the window for a hotel, plus transportation to get there (there is only one hotel close and thats where the guests will be staying)

Im not too worried about being under the same roof as them haha, as when we go to visit we stay there, and they are pretty understanding. As well as, I'm sure we will be exhausted from hosting that it would be nice to be able to just crash when we want and not need to worry about getting to the hotel but idk

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can just go back to your parents house the next morning to help clean up? I wouldn't want to sacrifice the honeymoon suite either since there's certain activities that happen on a wedding night and you might not want to do them with your parents under the same roof lol.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics