Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner April 2018 Ontario

Backyard lunch/bbq wedding

Stephanie, on March 2, 2017 at 11:46 Posted in DIY 0 11

So recently after sorting out the costs for a full service venue and pricing out at over 15000 (minimum) we decided to go with a casual, DIY BBQ wedding in his parents yard. I cut my guest list in half and am actually very excited to have a more casual, personal ceremony/reception. We will have a 10-12 month old daughter at the time of the wedding (date TBD) so feel like the intimate one is better suited to our lifestyle.

Our budget is now down to about 7500. Is there any tips or tricks you can recommend to make sure things go smoothly. Things you thought you needed but didnt, things you with you had but didn't think of.

Going to keep it simple with decor as their yard is already beautiful with the backround being a farmers field. Will likely do mason jars with some nice fresh flowers and then have candles to be lit later on.

How did you find you conquored the lighting issue? I was thinking of draping some christmas lights along the hedges (white lights).

Any tips or advice/horror stories will be appreciated. Bonus points if you did a DIY wedding of any kind in Quinte West, ON and can recommend awesome vendors ect.

11 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 17, 2018 at 08:23
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ypu have the idea in the right path and smart to cut down half ypur cost. Glad to hear you have projects taking place and why not use artificial flowers for the guests to take the centerpeices home.
  • Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it all depends on who's coming. If Everyone is comfortable with each other then it's fine, but I was really uncomfortable. There was family drama so I was the only one present from her mothers side which I think just added to weirdness.
  • S
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yeah I'm for sure going to do a little program. Maybe not one to hand out but make 2..one to display at the ceremony and then one to display in the yard at the reception where people will walk. Didn't want to do paper because we're outside and don't want them littered or blown around.
    The seating was a great tip! I had it in my head to not do a chart at all but now it's something to consider.
  • Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My cousin had a backyard (farmyard) wedding this past summer. It was great. The one thing I didn't like was that because it was casual there was no program so after dinner, everyone took off and I was confused because it was light out and they hadn't done their first dance. I just ended up hanging around awkwardly and was actually going to leave after an hour of just sitting and being confused. It turned out, everyone went home to change into jeans and hoodies before the bonfire started. My FH & I ended up sitting by ourselves all night because no one joined our table LOL. Well, we literally knew no one there but the bride so I get it.

Sorry for the long response! So as a guest, I would've liked a bit more formality as in assigned tables, and some kind of program (or at least annoucement of when things were happening) because I felt very awkward for most of the day.

Otherwise, I really liked the laid back feel of it.

• Stephanie
    Devoted June 2021 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That sounds wonderful!!!
  • Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Stephanie! Smiley heart That's so cool! I love the BBQ and backyard idea, that will make everything very intimate and fun! I might have a few ideas for you in terms of food and decorations:

10 ideas to decorate a backyard for your wedding

15 wedding appetizers

I can't wait to hear what you'll go for! Smiley smile What food do you have in mind for the BBQ?

• Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I second the bathroom comment. I've been to 2 backyard weddings and they both had porta potties which was a really good idea, especially if you have a large number of guests. One thing I really appreciated was at one wedding they had a hand washing station as well with running water. Then you don't have to feel all grimey after using the porta potty.

• Vanessa
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Get a tent for sure (if it has a floor, even better). You can leave the sides up if the weather is nice so you get the breeze, but if it rains, you'll want it. A lot of tent rentals will do packages that include chairs, tables, the tent, flooring.

How many people are you inviting? If it's under 64 - here is a place that has really cool package that includes catering, tent, tables, chairs, etc. for $5,200 http://www.dewmillevents.ca/catering.html

• S
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our ceremony is acutally at a little old converted church up the street from his parents house...maybe a 2 minute drive tops. It used to be a church now it's a music hall so it's non denominational and very nicely decorated in the inside. It's used for concerts now!
    They have this natural arbor type thing on the back of the property line that has grown over quite a bit in the last few years, I'm gonna work with his mom to make that look pretty again so it would be nice for pictures.
    Yes to the bathrooms! They are also in the country on a well so it is a must have so things don't get backed up. Gonna designate the indoor bathrooms for wedding party only (and my mom because well, she's a princess lol). Hoping to find flushing ones in the area if possible.

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Major tip for back yard wedding: bathrooms!!! Consider rental "luxury" porta potties, because otherwise guests will be going through the house a lot, and the line will get long if there are only one or two bathrooms!

Also maybe set out table on a patio, to give guests some nice even ground to eat and drink. The grass can get a bit damp and chairs sink....mixed with alcohol, eck!. So keep that in mind when you plan setting things out!

I think the hedge lights sound lovely- maybe even some tiki torches around (bonus: helps keep bug away!) otherwise jars an flowers are very classic for a casual wedding, and with a nice natural backdrop, you wont need much else. Do you think you might use an arh to have your ceremony under?

• S
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

**Things you **wish** you had**

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics