Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Maegan
Super July 2018 British Columbia

Backpacking europe!

Maegan, on February 10, 2017 at 03:22 Posted in Honeymoon 0 15

So my fiance and I are looking to backpack Europe for our honeymoon and are looking for travel tips, money saving ideas and and location suggestions! We are looking at having a delayed honeymoon and going fall 2018 for about 5 weeks Smiley smile

We haven't really planned where we want to go yet, but we are thinking we will book our flights and just wing it following a rough outline of highlights we want to hit.

Would love to hear if anyone has done something similar??

15 Comments

Latest activity by Meghan, on February 28, 2017 at 15:28
  • Meghan
    Curious July 2018 British Columbia
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It was a fantastic experience, some definite bumps in the road but we learnt as we went. But we (fiancée and I) spent everyday with our son for his first year and that wins over anything! I am a huge supporter of the "baby gap year"
  • L
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That is so unbelievably awesome! I've never heard of that before! That would be my dream! How was traveling with a baby in tow?
  • Meghan
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It was actually a 10 month world euro-Asia trip. We had a baby whose 10 months now and took you parental leave to just travel and spend time as a family! I highly recommend it!! 😄
  • L
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Holy smokes! What do you do that you get time off to do a 3 month euro trip? So jealous
  • Maegan
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks! This is great to know!

• Meghan
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We just did Europe for 3 months, my biggest advice would be to pick a few key cities you want to see (usually the most expensive) then ass some less expensive less touristy places (Western Europe ect). Prague is a beautiful city and very romantic also really easy on the budget. Also have you ever thought of turkey it's a short flight out of the uk and has beautiful beaches resort areas and is sooooo cheap! We stayed in fetiye and it was one of the highlights of our European backpacking adventure. Good luck and enjoy the adventure!!
  • Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There are no specific places I'd avoid although I would make a note to pay a little more for hostels and accomodations that are city centre or at least close to amenities. There were a few times I had to eat at the hotel for dinner because I was in the middle of nowhere and that adds up!

• Maegan
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you! Those are all great tips that I will have to keep in mind Smiley smile

We are super excited but neither of us has travelled a ton outside of BC so it will be an all new experience for us. Most of our trips together have been camping or staying in cabins.

Did you go any places that you would recomend skipping or avoiding?

• Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Amazing idea!!!! I'm biased because this is totally what I'd like to do! I can't give you any input though, as I've never been in a trip like that due to timing, such as yourself, nor have I started planning the honeymoon (let's start with the wedding planning bit Haha), but everyone's advice seems reasonable to me! Best of luck Smiley smile
  • Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Love this idea! I went backpacking in my earlier 20s and loved it. Hostels are definitely the way to go since you're never in your room anyway, be sure to check out private hostels and not just HI hostels.
    Plan to hit up grocery stores and markets to save money so make sureThere's a kitchenette in the hostel.
    There's really inexpensive airlines in Europe so you don't need to spend a lot on transportation while there. I also learned from experience to stay in one place for a few days and take day trips around. It's exhausting to move every other day.
    Definitely recommend Ireland particularly Galway. It's beautiful and there's a lot of affordable day tours around there.
  • Natasha
    VIP August 2017 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ha ha it definatly is expensive to buy a house ... I know when FH and I bought 2 years ago I almost choked lol .. but I am happy to have a home to call my own ! and its nice for my son to have as well.... You will have a great time hopefully you can share some pictures of your adventure !!

• Maegan
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We really lucked out that this is going to work for us. Weve been talking about going on a trip like this for a couple years but the timing just hasnt been right. By the time fall 2018 rolls around I will finally be finished school, have my student loan paid off and be settled into my career. We figured it will be our last chance to travel before we have kids and a ridiculously expensive mortgage. (Side note: how the heck can anyone afford houses these days?!?) We wanted to go for 2 months but i cant take that much time off work. I spoke with my boss and he said even 5 weeks is a stretch but we can likely make it work. Fingers crossed!
  • Maegan
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have never been to Europe before! I have spent 3 weeks in New Zealand in 2011 but thats the extent of my travelling experience outside of BC. Don went for 2 weeks on a Europe tour in high school but he really wants to go back. We will likely hostel it. We cant afford to be staying in hotels for 5 weeks... We do want to splurge a bit though and get a hotel for a couple nights in Venice overlooking the canals! We know we want to hit Venice, Amsterdam, and maybe Greece. I would love to see some of the smaller towns in France... Spend some time in wine country! Don wasnt a fan of Paris when he went but really enjoyed the smaller towns. I would also love to visit Ireland but i dont think its the top of Dons list.
    We really want to do some hikes out there and eat all the good food everywhere haha.
  • Natasha
    VIP August 2017 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Just wanted to say that sounds like an amazing honeymoon and if I could do that i totally would ... but his work schedule and mine would not allow .. let alone my child lol ... youll have a blast !!

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Maegan! Welcome to the community! I'm so happy to see you started joining our discussions and to meet another bride who loves to travel! Smiley heart What would you like to do or see on your honeymoon?

Ireland is amazing for landscapes, and so is the United Kingdoms and all the nordic countries. If you also want to visit some beach destinations, you could go to Italy, Greece, Spain, Portugal... There are so many options out there! Smiley love

You should meet Lindsey, she's also planning to go to a few destinations around Europe! Fall honeymoon destinations

Are you planning to stay in hostels or hotel? What countries hgave you already been to or dream to visit? Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics