Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Vanessa
Expert August 2018 Manitoba

Bachelorette/ Bachlor party dilemma

Vanessa, on July 8, 2018 at 15:50 Posted in Before the wedding 0 9
So we gave the list of people we wanted to one of my bridesmaids. 3 our of 4 of my bridesmaids can’t make it and now the bridesmaid says she doesn’t want one of my fiancé’s friends now my friend too there as she taught his kid. We’ve already told him about it, he works with my fiancé on a day to day basis and he grew up with my fiancé. I don’t know what to say to her, we feel like just telling them to forget about as this will cause a riff somewhere. I’m an educational assistant and I work with kids all the time and friends with their parents. What do i do? What do I say? Advice please. I hate conflict.

9 Comments

Latest activity by Jessie, on July 9, 2018 at 11:24
  • Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That can be hard. I understand not wanting to have the confrontation so all you really need to say is what you want. If you want those people to be there then it doesn't matter if someone else doesn't because it's your day and your bachelorette party and no one should dictate who you have there. They should be supportive and get along for you. I know it is easier said than done though.. Good luck!

• Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

At the end of the day it is your event and you should have who you want there. I am not a fan of confrontation either, but I would approach my friend and just let them know that you want this person at your (or in this case your FH's) event and that you hope they can look past the fact that they have taught their kid.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think you need to remind your friends that this event is about you and your FS and that they can put aside their feelings for a few hours.

• Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you limit yourself to certain things like "so and so might be there, I could have their kid in ny class next year" etc. You're never going to get to live your life!

I think everyone should put everything behind them for a night so you can celebrate what needs to be celebrated!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You made the list and it goes as it says. The educator needs to realize there isn't a moment when a kid remembers someone and happy to be around them.

No one dictate but ypu on what stays and goes. Switch the list on the bridesmaid so she doesn't have to see that student.
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As a teacher myself, I don't really see the problem. I wouldn't be concerned with having a parent of a student (past or present) in the wedding, as it's someone the groom wants, and as a bridesmaid, she can't really dictate who you both choose. Either there's past history there, or she's just being incredibly cautious (which if you all live in a small community, it's guaranteed things like this are bound to come up).

I would just tell her, that while you appreciate her concerns, it's important to you and your fiance for both of them (the groomsmen and her) to be in the wedding party. If she's unable to fill that commitment, then you'll be disappointed, but understand.

I hope she realizes that she's there for you, and if that means she needs to be a bit more "behaved" in terms of watching how much she drinks or anything else, then so be it. It's one day.

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    1 of my bridesmaids is forgiven as she lives in San Diego, CA. She hasn’t taught her child in 2 full school years. I live in a small community so it’s hard not to teach people’s kids you know.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    3 of your 4 bridesmaids cant make it? That's like, one if their only commitments...
    As for teaching his son... if she's not actively his teacher, I dont see the problem... unless something happened she isn't disclosing that makes it awkward... she cant ask you to uninvite someone. She's an adult, unless she's avoiding something that can get her in trouble of fired, she needs to suck it up.
  • Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    She taught his kid, so she’s not currently teaching his kid if I’m understanding right so I don’t see a problem. There should be no ethical conflict of interest. I would find out and ask more about her reasons to fully understand. I mean I could see a conflict if she was still teaching his son and his son was going to be at the wedding. That would be an ethical dilemma as I know as teachers your not suppose to have drinks in front of students. Even a high school teacher should leave the bar if students are 18 and show up at the bar. Depending on the situation tho it’s not like she can say she doesn’t want him there if he is close to your fiancé and they have been friends for a while. I wish you good luck resolving this issue. Stay positive and remember it is your day.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics