Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kristina
Curious September 2018 Ontario

Babysitting Services or ideas?

Kristina, on October 27, 2017 at 13:48 Posted in WeddingWire 0 9

Hi Everyone,

I have several family members with small toddlers who have expressed interest in travelling to our wedding but were wondering if there would be babysitting available for the kids. This seems to me a make or break thing for them and we would like them to attend. The wedding is not where we live (windsor/Harrow area, Ontario) and so we don't know anyone who could babysit either in the hotel or at the venue. Have you heard of any companies that are designed for this type of thing or do you have experience? I am at a loss and don't feel comfortable just hiring some teenager I don't know.

Thanks!

Kristina

9 Comments

Latest activity by Kristina, on January 2, 2018 at 17:57
  • Kristina
    Kristina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Vinod, this is exactly what we are thinking of doing as well because we thing it would be great to have the kids there.

• Kristina
    Kristina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Joey,

I haven't looked into this much further but am going to propose to the family that the kids come to the reception because we plan to have a kids table for other families with activities since babysitting doesn't seem to be an option for our long distance planning. Hoping that this was a miscommunication and they were thinking kids were not allowed at the wedding and therefore needed babysitting.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My cousin had asked me about the same and that she would pay for it since its her family that had the kids. I didn't at the end cuz the reception was perfect and the kids were kept busy. Activities is something i have seen done and a good idea. My cousin brought some crayons, paper and drinking cups for each child there. Nice touch for kids gift.
  • Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Kristina! Have you thought about this any further? Did you decide to go ahead and hire a babysitter? Have the parents been helpful and offered any suggestions as to how to compromise?

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it is a little presumptuous to think that the bride and groom will have babysitting arrangements for other people's children, family or no. Usually if people are invited to an event without their children it is up to them to find suitable babysitting arrangements. That being said, you could look into hiring a nanny service for the evening and letting people know the cost. We didn't invite children to our wedding and most of friends and family were excited to have an adult evening to themselves and found arrangements for their kids.

• Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you can find some options for babysitting, then for sure let those friends know what they are so they don’t have to figure that part out, but definitely not up to you to book or pay for the babysitter.
  • Ashleigh
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Ashleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have 7 or 8 kids at our wedding and we are having a kids table that is in the back corner away from all of the exits and traffic. They'll have activities and stuff at their table. I don't mind if they stay at the reception for an hour or so but they'll be getting the boot early on because it's a late event as is. We were also considering having someone there to watch them because most of their parents are in the wedding party. Both sets of their grandparents are attending our wedding, so I'm not sure what we can do. We don't have room for it in our budget so we'll see. Let me know what you end up doing!
  • Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't know any sitters in the area, but if anyone who is inquiring about it knows one in their area that would be willing to travel, perhaps they can make arrangements that way? Maybe if there is a group who wants to go in on it together, they could work on that. To me, it seems a bit presumptuous to assume the couple has built babysitting expenses into their budget and are willing to take on the task of finding childcare for them (unless you told them before-hand that you have!).

I know some people who have set up sort of a 'designated kids area' with activities and even sort of a pillow corner for kids to veg out/sleep at the reception.

That being said, we didn't have kids at out wedding (in Harrow) and had family who traveled from the TO area who left their kids with in-laws for the evening for a sleep-over, so maybe that's an option as well?

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Why don't you check with the hotel to see if they have used any babysitters in the area. You can get references before you hire them. I would recommend an adult rather than a teenager who might be too busy with their phone to properly look after the children.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics