Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Maria
Newbie July 2018 Ontario

Awkward guest situation...

Maria, on October 11, 2017 at 14:01 Posted in Wedding reception 0 9

So I'm in an awkward situation. My Dad is inviting one of his old friends to my wedding, this friend has 2 daughters. The older of which is one of my sister's BFFs, the younger was my childhood BFF till about 2007. My sister had requested to have her friend come (older sister), which I didn't mind. However, the younger daughter and I had a fallout over a boy about 10 years ago (me dating boy, she sneaks around with boy...) and haven't really reconnected the same since. Long story short, she ended up marrying the guy. We've crossed paths a few times and are good to chat, but when he shows up things just get uncomfortable. With the rest of her family invited, I'm fine with her being invited. However, my fiancé and I agree that having him at our wedding as her guest will be totally awkward for all of us. Not sure what to do...

9 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on December 22, 2017 at 19:16
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Its your dayand your happiness to enjoy. Invite only who you are comfortable with and want to be there. Don't add her if creates from the family even if your dad's friend ask how come.
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Invite who you want, as others have said, it’s your wedding. Are any other guests exes of either you or your fiancé? If not, and you feel like you need to give her a reason for no invite, you could always go with the “we agreed that no exes were to be invited”.
  • Kathy
    Devoted June 2018 Ontario
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Knowing the history between you guys, I don't think she will be offended if she doesn't get an invite. And I don't think you should feel obligated to invite her because some of her other family members are invited. Hopefully she would be smart enough to put herself in your shoes and realize that it might be awkward for you to have her husband there. I wouldn't stress over it.

• Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you have no responsibility at all to invite her, it's not a snub, you just want certain people at your wedding and it's your day

• Maria
    Newbie July 2018 Ontario
    Maria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Smiley smile I definitely needed to hear that from someone!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Don't feel bad. It is your wedding and you can invite whoever you'd like. I feel like if they are not people you would randomly call up to hang out or people you see regularly or really good friends/family, do not feel obligated to invite them. There is no way to invite one person of a couple, especially a married one, without it seeming awkward or weird or rude.
  • Maria
    Newbie July 2018 Ontario
    Maria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I had a feeling my dad would invite him, which again, no problems with at all!

I would just feel bad that her parents and sister were invited, and not her.. considering we were literally childhood BFFs.. it's just him I really don't want there :/

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I personally don't think you need to invite her at all. It will probably seem really awkward or rude to invite and say "oh but you cannot bring your husband". If you aren't really friends I don't see the point in inviting her to your wedding especially considering the history. I also hope that your dad asked if you were ok with him inviting his friend to your wedding.

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You should invite who YOU want to have at your wedding. Not what other people are proposing or asking. It's your day with your fiancé. You should enjoy it. Not be put in awkward situations.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics