Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alison
Frequent user August 2022 Ontario

August 2020 and Covid

Alison, on April 15, 2020 at 14:27 Posted in WeddingWire 0 16

Our wedding date is August 29, 2020. Initially I felt awful for all of the couples who were set to get married in March-May but wasn't worried personally about our date. I thought for sure things would be back to normal long before the summer. But now I'm starting to feel more and more like that may not be the case. I know we still have a few months to figure things out, but I can't help but feel anxious and hopeless that things will not go on as planned.

I was keeping my cool pretty good up until a couple days ago. Now the uncertainty is killing me. We were going to send out our invites this month, and now it seems like that would be pointless. Obviously I don't want to postpone if we don't have to, but I also don't want our guests to feel uncomfortable coming!

I don't know what answers I'm looking for as I know literally no one knows what to expect or how long this will last. How are you other August brides and grooms feeling? Are you still going on business as usual? Do you have backup plans? (and if you do are you thinking later 2020 or 2021 if you're thinking of possibly postponing?)

Any insight would be lovely! I feel like I just need to vent out my feelings to someone other than my fiancé and friends who have already heard earfuls this week!

Thank you for listening!!

16 Comments

Latest activity by Alison, on April 16, 2020 at 22:01
  • Alison
    Alison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your input ladies! My fiancé and I sat down and talked it over and we contacted our venue and vendors. We are now leaning towards postponing until August 2021. While it's such a long ways away, I already feel a huge sense of relief! Positives are we will have more time to save and more time for me to grow my hair longer! (It takes forever to grow lol).

I hope everything works out for everyone else whatever happens and whatever you decide! Smiley smile

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are waiting until the last moment in July to send invites. By then hopefully we will know what the autumn might hold as far as travel restrictions and limits on gatherings.

I'm not allowing myself to panic until July. Until then I can't do anything to change the virus so I'm waiting. Any planning I've done if for things I can still use if we postpone, like jewelry, and picking hair and makeup ideas.
    So I guess try not to worry if you can help it. Try to focus on your engagement and enjoy spending a lot more time with your fiance until you can make a solid decision.
  • Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s my concern as well Smiley sad my dresses are in store but I don’t know how long they will need for alterations 😓
  • K
    Devoted August 2021 Nova Scotia
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Amazing. And that's what really counts. There's so much room to get creative with a delayed reception/vow renewal etc. (if need be) and I think those events will have a super special energy.

• Kristen
    Devoted May 2021 British Columbia
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly! that's how I felt when I messaged my Venue. Once I have a back up date I will be able to breathe a little bit better!

• Alison
    Alison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your response! We have actually been thinking about if we want to postpone to next August. It sounds so far away but I would also hate to postpone to later this year only to be worried about postponing again 😞. I’m sure it has taken a lot of stress off you and your fiancé to go ahead and rebook for next summer. Must be a relief (after getting over the initial sadness anyways). The only plan we have so far is that we both want to go ahead with legally getting married on our original date for sure. We will talk with our venue and vendors and come up with backup plans for the reception if needed!
  • Alison
    Alison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    As much as I wish no one else had to go through this too, it’s nice to know I’m not alone!

Fingers crossed for us all!
  • Alison
    Alison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That was the time frame we had given ourselves too because our next payment for our venue is due end of June. It seemed reasonable when my fiancé and I first discussed it...since then my mind has gone into overdrive and isn’t quite thinking as reasonably as initially lol. I hope everything works out for you guys too!
  • Alison
    Alison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes I am in Ontario! And I will definitely do that. Trying not to make any rash decisions just yet!
  • Alison
    Alison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m sorry you’re going through this too. You’re right, it’s supposed to be such a special time. I was really enjoying the planning process (we’ve been engaged for 2 years now) and wasn’t stressed about planning at all (yet) and this just took the winds right out of my sail! That is a good idea about emailing your venue for options. Maybe I’ll do that. It would at least feel like I’m doing something to be in control of the situation!
  • K
    Devoted August 2021 Nova Scotia
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Alison! Vent away. We're truly living in chaos atm. I was initially set to get married the same weekend as you, and we actually did end up postponing until August 2021 out of an abundance of caution. I really wanted to hold out a little longer, but the stars just kind of aligned when I inquired with my venue coordinator (there was one remaining Saturday next summer, they would reschedule us free of charge, and all but one of my vendors could accommodate the new date - super fortuitous). So we decided to go for it. I didn't really entertain the idea of postponing to a later date in 2020 simply because I wanted to maximize the chances that we would all be out of the woods with Covid-19 by the time the new date rolls around.

For me personally, the decision to postpone has already paid major dividends in terms of my own sanity (lol). But I truly do hope/believe that things will stabilize to a significant degree by August. Hang in there!! And it can never hurt to start formulating Plan B, even if you don't put it in motion for a couple months (or end up having to at all for that matter!).

• Tara
    Beginner November 2020 Ontario
    Tara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Aug 30 here! Starting to get nervous too! Even if it’s a go- will I have time to get my dress altered etc? Fingers cross this lifts soon!
  • Gloria
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Keep in mind so much can change in a month or so so keep an open mind Smiley smile
  • Gloria
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are waiting until June to make a final decision Smiley sad
  • Sasha
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I notice you are in Ontario. Ford said yesterday that he extended the state of emergency until May 11th. Maybe it's better to reassess everything on that day? See what updates they provide? You still have time to send out invitations.
  • Kristen
    Devoted May 2021 British Columbia
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was feeling the exact same way until about a week ago. Now I am just obsessing about it! I contacted my Venue yesterday and she let me know of my options (which we would want to reschedule) I asked her to let me know of any dates for next May to June on a Saturday that she may be able to hold for us until we make a definite decision in June/July.

But for now we are planning as normal as possible. (We still haven't heard from any vendors so that's a good sign).

I am trying to stay in high spirits but even if it is lifted before August 22nd I still need the time to have my dress altered still and Hair/Makeup trial done. Not to mention possibly no Bridal Shower or Jack and Jill party that we were hoping to do. Its so disheartening to have this happen at such a (Supposed to be) special time. Smiley sad

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics