Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amber
Newbie November 2019 Ontario

Assuming name in Ontario - did you change your sin card / update the Cra? what name do you use for taxes?

Amber, on September 24, 2021 at 22:13 Posted in Ontario 0 6

Hi All,

I'm in a middle of assuming my husband's last name. My driver's license and health card are already updated. I am waiting a little to update my passport because I have trips that are coming up too soon to risk updating it and not receiving it in time.

My dilemma is that I'm confused about my sin card. I've read mixed messages on the internet.

The sin website states that you must change it, if you've had a legal name change. I understand that assuming is different than a legal name change, but it doesn't specifically say this on the sin site, in particular, and doesn't say that you don't have to change it, if you've simply assumed a new last name.

What did you do? If you didn't update it, then did you use your maiden name with the CRA (or did you give them your new name along with the sin number you've always had)?

Thank you! I'm probably stressing a wee bit too much about this - but I don't want to have a problem with my taxes!! haha

6 Comments

Latest activity by Sandy, on March 21, 2023 at 14:20
  • Heather
    Newbie August 2022 Ontario
    Heather ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I know this is an old post but is the general consensus here that I do not need to change my SIN? I am just assuming my partner's last name. I wasn't even aware that they do not even hand out the SIN cards anymore.

I still understand that I would need to change my name with the CRA.

• Tracy
    Newbie May 2022
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Go to Service Canada in person with your marriage certificate or certified copy of marriage registration, old SIN card and ID. If you were born in another country, bring your PR / Canadian Citizenship certificate, they will ask for your parents' names.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Your drivers license and health card information will be changed and replaced with the proper name as you would change it over to your husbands. The sin card no longer needs to be replaced as the name change will be updated on the governments end. As for the passport, it would be good to change it soon so you are ready for travelling and getting it back in time without any delays.

The taxes would be using your married name as you would be claiming yourself a spouse as the same for him.

• C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I may be wrong but from my understanding assuming your husband's name is not the same as legally changing your name. Legally changing your name means changing your birth certificate too. You do not need to do that or worry about your sin card if you're just assuming his name. I am certainly not doing that!
  • Kara
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You change your name on your SIN just as you would with drivers licence.
    If you have an existing SIN card, they will still send you a new one. Hope this helps
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The government no longer issues SIN cards anyway so there's no need to change it. You can do an assumed name change with all federal files (ie CRA) like you do with provincial ones.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics