Skip to main content
Newbie November 2019 Ontario

Assuming name in Ontario - did you change your sin card / update the Cra? what name do you use for taxes?

Amber, on September 24, 2021 at 22:13 Posted in Just married 0 4

Hi All,

I'm in a middle of assuming my husband's last name. My driver's license and health card are already updated. I am waiting a little to update my passport because I have trips that are coming up too soon to risk updating it and not receiving it in time.

My dilemma is that I'm confused about my sin card. I've read mixed messages on the internet.

The sin website states that you must change it, if you've had a legal name change. I understand that assuming is different than a legal name change, but it doesn't specifically say this on the sin site, in particular, and doesn't say that you don't have to change it, if you've simply assumed a new last name.

What did you do? If you didn't update it, then did you use your maiden name with the CRA (or did you give them your new name along with the sin number you've always had)?

Thank you! I'm probably stressing a wee bit too much about this - but I don't want to have a problem with my taxes!! haha


Latest activity by Vinod, on September 29, 2021 at 14:01
  • Vinod
    Featured August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute

    Your drivers license and health card information will be changed and replaced with the proper name as you would change it over to your husbands. The sin card no longer needs to be replaced as the name change will be updated on the governments end. As for the passport, it would be good to change it soon so you are ready for travelling and getting it back in time without any delays.

    The taxes would be using your married name as you would be claiming yourself a spouse as the same for him.

    • Reply
  • Carmel
    Featured December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    I may be wrong but from my understanding assuming your husband's name is not the same as legally changing your name. Legally changing your name means changing your birth certificate too. You do not need to do that or worry about your sin card if you're just assuming his name. I am certainly not doing that!
    • Reply
  • Kara
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    You change your name on your SIN just as you would with drivers licence.
    If you have an existing SIN card, they will still send you a new one. Hope this helps
    • Reply
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute

    The government no longer issues SIN cards anyway so there's no need to change it. You can do an assumed name change with all federal files (ie CRA) like you do with provincial ones.

    • Reply

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles


WeddingWire Article Topics