Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stefanie
Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan

Arrived at the conclusion that we are going to have to postpone

Stefanie, on April 20, 2020 at 17:56 Posted in WeddingWire 0 13

Yesterday my FH and I had a long discussion about our wedding plans. For the last couple of months or so I've been trying to remain optimistic about everything working out, but as our wedding is nearing double digits we decided to face the reality that postponing was probably the best thing to do. Our wedding was supposed to be on August 15th and it's a hard realization that things probably aren't going to work out the way that we had planned. We invested so much time and money into our dream wedding and its a sad reality that its not going to happen as planned this year.

We have tentatively rescheduled our wedding for August 14, 2021. However the more we talked about it the more that we realized that we still want to get married this year, so we are making a final decision about whether or not to postpone the wedding the first week of June. If we decide at that point that we are going to postpone, we are going to have two weddings instead. We are going to have a small intimate ceremony with our immediate family this year and our big wedding next year. We had planned to get married in a Catholic church but if we postpone it will be by a marriage commissioner, then next year we can have our marriage blessed by the Catholic church at our wedding. The nice thing is that we would get to write our own vows this year and then have the traditional vows next year. I also bought a simple wedding dress to wear to the small ceremony, that way my actual wedding gown can be worn the day we celebrate with everyone else. My FH is also getting a different suit to wear this year as opposed to next year because we wanted our wedding next year to be special and the way that it was meant to be. The nice thing about everything is that we still get to get married and we get to celebrate our one year wedding anniversary with everyone.

The other thing that stressed me out was the idea that everything was going to be booked for next year with our vendors, but luckily we had no problems rescheduling anything which was great. Our photographer even offered to come to our ceremony this year to photograph everything and take some formals should we have to postpone.

I know there are other brides that are struggling with making the decision to postpone and believe me, I know how you feel. I was devastated with the idea that things would be postponed and was completely withdrawn and unexcited about everything. However, my FH made some good points. He said that we can still go forward with our wedding but people may have anxieties coming to a large gathering if the restrictions are lifted. He also said that if someone unknowingly has the virus, we would feel like crap if other guests got sick because they attended our wedding. We want our wedding to be a good memory for everything and an event where everyone can enjoy themselves. We also haven't had my bridal shower or either of our bachelor/bachelorette parties and everyone deserves to have the full experience and create amazing memories.

If there are any other brides that are struggling with the idea of postponing or just need to vent, feel free to message me because you are not alone. It's not fair that anyone has to worry about the virus wrecking your perfect day, but I mean there are other ways to make sure that it doesn't.

13 Comments

Latest activity by Stefanie, on April 21, 2020 at 13:25
  • Stefanie
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm glad that you still were able to find a day in 2021 that worked for you. I've heard that its been challenging for some couples.

Wishing you the best as well!
  • Stefanie
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! I feel better about it now but I had a difficult time at first. The most important thing is that we are married and spend our lives together, so I'm glad that that still happens.
  • Stefanie
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It was hard to find the silver lining at first, but I mean we still get to be married which is what matters the most. I think that those who have postponed or are thinking of postponing find the silver lining easier when the stress of whether or not the virus will impact their day is gone.
  • Stefanie
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It's unfortunate that not everything happens this year, but the most important thing to us was getting married. So the positive side is that doesnt change, just how we celebrate does. All the best to you too!
  • Stefanie
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It will be awesome if everything works out for the best, but I'm happy either way. I think it's cool that our wedding anniversary will be celebrated with everyone if we do choose to postpone.
  • Stefanie
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yea the stress is definitely gone because we have plans either way. We thought the same thing about our photographer, we are very lucky to be able to have pictures of both days.
  • A
    Frequent user August 2020 Ontario
    Anna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are thinking of doing the same for our August 8th wedding except we will do the wedding on August 8th in the Catholic Church with just our parents, and then do another civil (basically renewal) ceremony next year at our big wedding.

Best of luck to you!

• K
    Devoted August 2021 Nova Scotia
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    .. and how awesome that it falls on the weekend of your first anniversary!! I think that timing will definitely enhance the celebration - if it comes to that. Crossing my fingers that you get to proceed as originally planned!
  • K
    Devoted August 2021 Nova Scotia
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Good stuff! So glad you were able to secure a back up date - and that’s awesome that you
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You two seem to really have thought out the back up plans with going forward with the wedding of purely family. The photographer is amazing to give the day to you for the ceremony. Smart move on going simple this year and formal when it comes to your first year anniversary.
    The stress level on you both is put off so well it works to your benefit.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It sounds like you've found some of the silver linings in a sh*ty situation! I am continuously (pleasantly) surprised by how everyone is finding the positives in postponing.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m so sorry you had to (or are going to) postpone! It’s such a heartbreaking decision to make - especially when you’ve been looking forward to the day for so long.

Wishing you lots of happiness and all the best on your new wedding day!
  • V
    Frequent user September 2021 Ontario
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I completely agree with everything you said! Those were a lot of the reasons why my fiancé and I also decided to postpone. We were unfortunately limited to our options in 2021 which is why we had to go all the way till September, because all our vendors were booked up in the summer. So that’s fantastic that you already have a back up date booked with your vendors. Wishing you all the best!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics