Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Are you having an unplugged ceremony?

Joey, on March 27, 2019 at 07:41 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 25

Are you asking your guests to unplug from social media on your wedding day? Will you be putting up signs to ask your guests to refrain from taking photos during your ceremony? Or will you encourage your guests to take and share photos with a wedding hashtag?

Plugged or unplugged?

Are you having an unplugged ceremony? 1

Photo by Chalkboards & Co. in Oakville

25 Comments

Latest activity by BunnyBride, on September 7, 2019 at 15:46
  • BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Unplugged. I saw a picture once of the bride from over the shoulder of the groom and the whole way down the aisle people had there arms and phones out in the aisle. A friend of mine had someone who was not their photographer step into the aisle to take a picture as the bride right in front of her (like she had to stop mid-walk).

I'm like Nope with a capital N!

We're having the officiant do a VERY firm announcement about no photos and shutting off their phones before the ceremony...(and we'll share the pictures from the photographer!). There's also going to be a clear sign at the entrance to the venue.

Also making it super clear on the wedding website too.

Reception is going to be a free-for-all though.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The ceremony is unplugged because we want nice photos. They can post at the reception all they want

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Unplugged ceremony only. We're paying way too much for our photographers for people to ruin the shots with their cell phones!

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Were having unplugged for the ceremony only.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely unplugged! I might have a sign, but our officiant will definitely make a short announcement asking guests to turn off their phones and put away any cameras.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For sure doing an unplugged ceremony. We are going to have a sign at the door to the ceremony space and we will have our officiant say it at the start of the ceremony again for all those who feel tempted

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely unplugged! i’ve seen it happen that someone posts a picture of the bride FROM THE CHURCH. literally posted a picture during the ceremony. which is absolutely unacceptable to me
  • Jenn
    Frequent user April 2019 Saskatchewan
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Absolutely unplugged!
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our pastor will make an announcement at the beginning of the ceremony before anything starts that we wish to have everyone off their phones and then after the ceremony is done, people can do whatever they like! Smiley smile I don't really want anyone posting on social media before I get the chance too.. but i'm not sure there's anything I can do about that

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing an unplugged ceremony, reception is fair game for cell phones.

In case anyone's debating, here's a link to show why a unplugged ceremony is a good way to go: Reasons to consider an unplugged ceremony

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé and I are having an unplugged ceremony. Guests may take pictures at the reception, but we will have signs at the ceremony entrance indicating we would like all electronic devices turned off.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are most definitely having an unplugged ceremony. We have a sign and the officiant will make an announcement. Nothing ruins ceremony pictures more than seeing a bunch of devices held up..makes the photos ugly. Another comment here mentioned how guests will take photos regardless..idk about you but my guests are respectful enough to follow a simple request.
    As for the reception they are more than welcomed to take as many photos as they please!
  • Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Cannot agree more with this!! I would much rather my professional photographer do an amazing job and have great pictures than people poking around with their phone cameras lol

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Unplugged ceremony. I am going to have the commissioner kindly let people know that we do not want people taking photos during our ceremony (we hired and spent a lot of money on a professional to do that). Reception is totally fine, but our venue has absolutely zero cell service haha.

• Shla
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Shla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Unplugged ceremony but people can do as they please for the reception.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don’t think I’ll put an unplugged sign up or anything.

People are going to take pictures regardless.
  • Meghan
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are not doing unplugged for either- I am not too worried about people leaving their seat during the ceremony to take pics (maybe I am putting too much trust in them haha) It's never bothered me at weddings when people take pics of the ceremony (respectfully)

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Unplugged ceremony but reception is fair game! And to be honest - our venue has little to no cell phone reception so it shouldn't be hard!!

• Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're doing an unplugged ceremony but the guests are welcome to take photos the rest of the day.
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing an unplugged ceremony as well. We're having a sign, asking the priest to announce it, and putting in very prominently on our programs. At my niece's baptism, there were more people standing around the font than were sitting down, and the photographer was really hindered by that, so I am also asking my day-of coordinator to gently remind any people who might feel the urge to stand up try their videographer skills that we hired professionals to do the job, so they can sit back and relax.

• Jenna
    Frequent user February 2021 Nova Scotia
    Jenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will be doing an unplugged ceremony but guests are welcome to take photos during the reception/dance and use our hashtag. I found a cute saying to make a sign for our unplugged ceremony.
  • Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will be doing an unplugged ceremony as well. I don't wanted to risk having cell phones being held up in our professional pictures or family and friends blocking our photographer while trying to get their own pictures. I want people to be present and in the moment. This will also make it so that the first photos to put on social media of our ceremony will be from us.

We'll probably make a sign and we'll definitely have our officiant announce it.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing both! Unplugged for the ceremony, and we will have our officiant make an announcement before everyone walks down the isle. Once the ceremony is over, everyone will be welcome to use their phones as they please.

I really do not like paying for a photographer, and then having all these cell phones in the background of pictures.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are going to be unplugged! I didn't want people taking photo's when photographer trying or being in way when she is trying. We have a sign when you come in and before we start ceremony we will have pastor announce it as well.

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We'll be going unplugged for the ceremony. We'll put up a sign and likely ask our officiant to make an announcement. I can't stand seeing everyone on their phones in nice wedding photos.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics