Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stacy
Curious August 2019 Ontario

Are engagement photos necessary?

Stacy, on September 15, 2017 at 14:12 Posted in Before the wedding 0 14

My Fiance and I are getting married August 24,2019 and got engaged a few months ago. I don't really see the point in taking awkward photos of us for a few hours and having to set the time out to do so....we are both fairly busy people... I figured I'd be happy with whatever photos were taken at our wedding.... I'm not a traditional bride at all and I'm pretty laid back so i don't really see the point?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why we should? HELP!

14 Comments

Latest activity by Candace, on January 9, 2018 at 08:30
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

One big pro to having engagement photos done is having them serve as practice for the wedding photos. It gets you more comfortable in front of the camera with your SO and it also shows you the style of your photographer (if you use the same one as you will for your wedding). Mostly engagement photos or for the family though!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Id you want to use some of the pictures on you website, invite or gift table, its worth having it done. If your saving for the day itself, thats good for your savings.
  • Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't see a huge point. We're only getting them cause theyre included in our photography package.

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't have them done. I'm quite traditional and it wasn't something that we would have spent money on. Now wedding pictures? That's where we are putting our money, but conservatively.

• Shannon
    Beginner November 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't think they're necessary at all... It's more of a personal preference though. My fiancé is super camera shy, whereas, I love the attention lol so we compromised with having my best friend take our engagement pictures for free. She loves photography so she jumped at the chance and he's more comfortable around her than a photographer we don't know well so it's a win win Smiley smile
  • Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

At first I thought they were not necessary, but....after we had them done we were so happy with how they turned out and we definitely do not regret it. It was really nice to meet our photographer and get to know her. After that we had complete confidence in her and knew we made the right decision choosing her. It was just a really relaxed, fun experience which was totally unexpected. Another plus is that you can have them taken at a different time of day or in a different season than your wedding. We dressed casual, more like our everyday selves and we like that we have those photos as well as photos of us all dressed up on our wedding day.

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's been said pretty well. It's not necessary but I found it helped to get in front of the camera, work with our photographer and get a sense of what it feels like to be photographed professionally as a couple. But it was built into our wedding package and so it was worth it for us to go for it (plus, we didn't have a lot of photos together since my fiance hates having his pic taken, lol)

• Kaytee
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kaytee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Stacy, my fiance and I were the same way. We find that kind of thing silly and didn't really care about them. It made our wedding package cheaper too (our photographer was nice and took those off). I think the biggest thing is that it gets you comfortable with your photographer and it helps you get comfortable with him. We lucked out because I already feel so at ease with ours.

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    They are totally not nessessary. We were not going to do engagement photos, but they are included with our package we booked for wedding photographer (which was the smallest package offered) so we figured we might as well. We wouldnt save any money by not getting them done.
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't have engagement photos and I don't mind. Some people like to do it and that's fine. I would rather put my money toward a wedding photographer. You have a phone. Take a few pictures and save them. That's all you really need.

• Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely not necessary but I've noticed a lot of photographers build them into their wedding packages. If it's included, I think it's worth doing because you will get to work with their photographer before the big day. We didn't get them done but sometimes I wish we would have.
  • Corina
    Frequent user March 2018 Ontario
    Corina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely not necessary but I found a lot of value in being able to work with my photographer before the wedding to develop a relationship with them and let them know what types of photos we liked doing!
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

They're not necessary but they are a great keepsake. We are both busy people as well and set aside 2 hours with our photographer to do journalistic style photos. We weren't posed at all and for the most part our photographer hid so that we couldn't see him. I thought for sure the photos were going to be super awkward and I'm super uncomfortable having my pictures taken but they turned out great. We are using one of our photos for our "guest book" and used another for our save the dates. Plus, it gives us more photos of ourselves that we can print and put up around our home.

• Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

They definitely aren't necessary. They are a personal preference. Some reasons why people do them, is to use them on their invitations or save the dates. Maybe family members would like a photo of them in a frame. You might have one of the engagement photos in a frame on your sign in table at the reception of your wedding. There was a couple that also used them for a slideshow to be played during the dinner at their reception.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics