Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Newbie September 2021 Ontario

Applying for a Wedding License?

Samantha, on May 22, 2020 at 21:28 Posted in Ontario 0 7
Has anyone been able to apply for a marriage license? I can't yet in Ottawa to my knowledge, but we'd really like to have a small, socially distant ceremony in June before he has to go away for training for most of the summer. Has anyone successfully applied for one by mail, or are any districts around Ottawa being more flexible?

7 Comments

Latest activity by Rahim, on June 5, 2020 at 10:37
  • R
    Newbie June 2020 Ontario
    Rahim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes! After much research, we found a municipality in St. Thomas, Ontario and here are the details:

My fiancée and I followed this process and were able to obtain a license just this past week. They followed an appointment only and socially distanced process.
    https://www.stthomas.ca/city_hall/licences__certificates__permits/marriage_certificates

We hope this information can help many other couples that have been stuck due to municipality closures!
  • S
    Newbie September 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    UPDATE; For Ottawa-area brides, the town of Renfrew is open for marriage licenses! Ottawa won't be offering again until *maybe* July, and Arnprior currently isn't offering the service. I just sent Renfrew (****@*******.**) an email to book an appointment (their instructions). Hopefully it's soon because I'm so excited! We postponed our big day, and this small civil ceremony is giving me something to put some positive energy towards during this pandemic.

Thank you to those that suggested reaching out to nearby towns, I have no idea why that didn't occur to me.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

LOL, definitely check before you trek all the way to Thunder Bay from Ottawa!

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Call around i believe uxbridge is doing some and thunder bay

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You can't apply for marriage licences with photocopy documents. You need original signatures and one of you have to be the one getting it. Your officiant can get the marriage certificate but not the license.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Marriage license is hard to get right now unless you have an Officiant who is able to request for you and get the information provided with photocopies required as proof. It would have to be by call to find out if the city hall nearby in the cities will do it for you or an official. I wish you the best of luck and congrats on your upcoming wedding.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You can't do it by mail. Another thread here pointed out a few small municipalities closer to the Toronto area around southwestern Ontario as being open by appointment if you're willing to make the drive.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics