Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

katiekies
Curious May 2023 British Columbia

Anyone wanting proof of vaccines at their wedding (Without a mandate)?

katiekies, on February 24, 2022 at 15:34 Posted in WeddingWire 0 12

I'm not getting married until 2023 - so who knows, maybe by then the world will be back to "normal"?

I'm just thinking about all the kids we'll have in attendance, and I want to make sure they're safe and that their parents are comfortable ... Do you think it's acceptable to invite guests and put on the invitations/wedding website "proof of vaccine will be asked for at the reception doors" (or something to that effect)? I'm secretly hoping it will still be a mandated practice still next year, and then I can just use that as an excuse to ask for vaccine proof ... but at the same time I don't want that, for the world's sake (just for my own selfish reasons).

Am I being silly, or do you think it would be fair practice?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Nelly+Raquel, on April 17, 2022 at 15:25
  • N
    Curious June 2023 Ontario
    Nelly+Raquel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are also getting married in 2023 but we have already talked to close family members and friends about having proof of vaccines at our wedding.
  • katiekies
    katiekies ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you Carmel Smiley heart I really needed this!

• C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Just want to 👏👏👏👏 you for still considering this when it likely won't be a government mandate next year (unfortunately Ontario is letting them go as of Tuesday 😩). Reading through all the comments, you are doing what's best for you and your guests and that's something to be proud of. I do think it's something you can definitely ask on your RSVPs and people can make their decisions - will they really argue and fight with you? If they do, do you really want them there? Obviously people can still catch covid 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ but yes you're keeping everyone safer and they're keeping each other safer because by being vaccinated the viral load is lower, thus less likely to spread, and by being vaccinated symptoms should be less severe. I can't believe this still has to be repeated! I should probably stop there before I say too much but again... You do what makes you and your fiance feel good about your wedding and be proud of it 👏 At our wedding, only our medical guests had access to vaccines at that point but we were super harsh about not coming if you're sick or have been taking risks leading up to the day and will out our guests at risk... Our guests really respected that and felt safer because we did it. If anyone had a problem with it, we were happy for them to stay home. Selfish people are not the type of people we need in our lives nor did we want celebrating with us (thankfully this wasn't an issue).
  • R
    Frequent user September 2022 Ontario
    Rere ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sure. Yes definitely talk to your fiancée.
  • katiekies
    katiekies ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's not about the already-vaccinated guests though - it's about all the kids. I know they're coming out with a booster shot for them (or maybe it's already out, I don't know) ... I just want to make sure they're safe.

Also, most of the family members I know of (on my side and J's) who aren't vaccinated are quite ... "political" about it, and I don't believe they're as cautious. So that's my main concern. I know vaccinated individuals can still catch covid, but I believe they have been more considerate of others. Does that make sense?

But I understand what everyone's saying - it's a tough subject, and should be discussed more with fiancé. Like I said, I just wanted to get a feel for how other couples are handling this.

• R
    Frequent user September 2022 Ontario
    Rere ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with Amanda, definitely a touchy subject. I'm sure your FH is going to want his father there. TBH even if guest are vaccinated they can still catch covid. Maybe just make sure your father in law is feeling well the time of your wedding.
  • katiekies
    katiekies ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Probably not - he seems closer to his dad than his mom.

I know this is definitely a discussion topic with fiance, not the internet - I just kind of wanted to get a feel for if others were feeling stressed/concerned as well about having unvaccinated guests, and wanting to keep others feeling safe/comfortable.

• Jacquie
    Frequent user August 2022 Alberta
    Jacquie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hmm if your FIL is unvaccinated, they may be something you and your Fiancé want to discuss more before informing guests. Is he okay with his father not attending the wedding over this?

• katiekies
    katiekies ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, I definitely see how tough it would be if the government isn't mandating it anymore by that point ...

My hope was that if we invite individuals anyway, and have the request to show proof, THEY can make the choice - get vaccinated or don't come. I don't want to exclude anyone and not give an invite to people who are important, just because they're not vaccinated ... but like I said, I want to make sure my guests (especially the kids) feel safe. Our list will be pretty small as well - around 60.

I just remembered, as I'm mentally going through our potential guest list ... I'm pretty sure my FIL isn't vaccinated ... *sigh*

• Jacquie
    Frequent user August 2022 Alberta
    Jacquie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will be doing this mandates or not. But we have a very small guests list of close friends and family only. We already know everyone we have invited are fully vaccinated and if they weren't they wouldn't getting an invitation.

I imagine this would very complicated to do with a large guest list. Like Hank said the venue is not likely to check for proof of vaccine. If this was really important to you, I would request proof of vaccines with RSVPs or just avoid inviting people you know are unvaccinated.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is a touchy subject. Once the mandate is lifted you technology can't be asking people for their health records.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It'll be tough to do it if it's not a government mandate, because the venue won't help you to enforce it (unless they decide to adopt a vaccination policy for guests attending events at their venue).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics