Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Elise
Beginner April 2018

Anyone heard of moissanite or looked into it in Canada?

Elise, on July 25, 2018 at 18:32 Posted in WeddingWire 0 10

Noticed before i joined the canadian wedding wire site there were no posts here for moissanite diamond alternatives. So here I am to share my experience with it..

I am not a huge fan of natural diamonds due to ethics. working standards in most mining countries, and the simple fact they are over priced like hell. I looked into moissanite which is mostly popular in the USA, and was able to find a canadian site that offered it finally through instagram. What is moissanite? Well, its in my opinion the best alternative to diamonds if you're looking for a near identical stone. It lasts forever, doesn't chip or scratch or dull like sapphire, its more heat resistant than diamond, sparkles more than diamond, and is almost always in the top 4 C's categories because of how its made in a controlled lab. Oh and did I mention its like 1/5th the cost or even cheaper.

So.. what are the popular moissanite companies? well, I would say MoissaniteCo is probably the most known on social media, Honest Solitaire is the canadian site i went with that uses their own generic branded stones which keeps costs down, theres also Ring Come True which is more expensive than HS but uses brand name stones such as Neo or CC. Each of these have unique styles and a different website user-friendliness rating. I would say HS or RCT have the easiest sites to navigate. Morganite is also a good cost friendly option I looked into if you want a soft peachy tone stone. I personally wouldn't choose sapphire because I've seen it wear down on a friends ring and it doesn't sparkle if it gets even the slightest dirty.

Anyways, hopefully this will shed a bit more light on another diamond alternative for us Canadians who seem to be out of the loop on this gem. Happy proposals ladies!

10 Comments

Latest activity by KC CHAN, on September 28, 2021 at 04:51
  • Jes
    Beginner August 2021 Ontario
    Jes ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have been wanting to go moissanite but had the same challenges about where to go. I checked those companies but I also found Forever Ring in Toronto. I got the best price and the lady was totally willing to be flexible, which was helpful. She also mentioned that they have a selection of larger sized lab-grown morganite. Hope that helps.

• Jennifer
    Frequent user February 2024 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm truly conflicted about the diamond issue. My FH got a simple filler ring out on vacation that doesn't even fit me and is so big for my tiny fingers it can't be sized down so we're shopping for 'the ring' and i never even heard of this option. I'll def be looking into this, thanks!
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I personally wanted a diamond for the engagement ring. just personal preference.

but I love the fact there are so many more companies out there offering alternative diamonds. that's great knowledge that you shared! Smiley smile

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My ring is a mix of moissanite and small diamonds.

Anyone heard of moissanite or looked into it in Canada? 1

• Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not one person has believed me when I've told them my ring isnt real diamonds. I told my FH on our first date that I hate diamonds,and he chose the most perfect ring !

Anyone heard of moissanite or looked into it in Canada? 2

Anyone heard of moissanite or looked into it in Canada? 3
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Don’t feel bad about your diamond! A lot of morganite is mined too!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Morganite is different from the artisan diamonds that Spence sells. Morganite has a different chemical component that makes it up and is mostly mined, while artisan diamonds have the same chemical components as a mined diamond, just created in a lab instead.
  • Sonia
    Frequent user May 2019 Quebec
    Sonia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wanted a morganite ring so bad!!!! I’m still in love with my ring but like you I keep thinking about the ethics of it. But definitely good to know about!!!
  • Cindy
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks for sharing. I will look into this for sure.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not sure if it's the same thing, or similar, but my fiance went to Spence, and got one of the Artisan diamonds... I think it's the same idea...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics