Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jenn
Devoted August 2025 Ontario

Anyone else having a sense of hesitation/discouragement/dread lately in their wedding planning?

Jenn, on January 1, 2021 at 16:19 Posted in Ontario 0 6

First, let me preface this by saying my FH and I got engaged in Feb. of 2018. Originally, we were wanting to get married in 2019 (Even have my dress already), but sadly, I was laid off (and owed a substantial amount of $&dollarSmiley winking, and had to go back to work for an old boss at his family-run take out restaurant, so FH and I decided that financially, a wedding in 2019 just wouldn't make sense at the time, and we put a pin in planning...

Fast forward to 2020 - I found myself temporarily laid off in April due to covid (my position is dependant on major events based out of the Metro Toronto Convention Centre), and instead of feeling down, I dove headfirst back into looking at our budget, researching wedding venues, etc. I found myself excited again about wedding planning and even had some really productive virtual tours with venues and a few photographers.

When COVID was still very much at the forefront of the world before Christmas, we are finding ourselves filled with discouragement and being hesitant to see any of our shortlisted venues in person, and pulling the trigger on putting down a deposit over dread/fear of the venue not being around 6 months from now, let alone 2022 - anyone else in the same boat? I just want to get back to being happy and hopeful with our planning without all of these "what-ifs" hanging over our heads... On a positive note, my wedding dress is 100% paid for, and FH and I no longer consider it part of the budget Smiley smile

6 Comments

Latest activity by Jenn, on January 4, 2021 at 20:56
  • Jenn
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not a dream venue....yet, but it is one of about 5 that were going to be shortlisted to see in person

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good luck! Just curious, besides the price point, what makes this particular place a dream venue for you?

• Jenn
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's an event centre, so very much the chance that they may not be standing after all of this...time will tell I am sure, and I have the feeling they may still honour the price point down the road if it is the venue we fall in love with when we feel comfortable seeing places in person again. If FH and I had already rescheduled once already, we would probably do the same, but as we had never got that far in planning even back in '18, we are good to wait

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's an insanely good deal but I hear you about closures. This is why I will never pay by cash - you want a deposit, offer credit card payment or I take my business elsewhere.

What kind of business is it? If it's just a hall, I'd be weary but if they have other forms of revenue besides banquets going in, it would be a safer bet.

• Jenn
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, FH and I figure we have been together for like 8 years now, so waiting a bit longer to have the wedding we want, was an easy decision. The only thing that may speed things up, or force us to do a shotgun wedding (and still do the big show in 2022) is if one of my parents fall ill, as they are both over 75.

Venues are offering some good prices/deals right now. I had one that is willing to do the top of line everything, open premium bar for 8hrs, cocktail reception, champagne toast and late-night stations, for $135/person inclusive - hard to pass up, but again, don't want to go visit in person, sign on the dotted line, and end up in a situation I have heard too many couples end up in due to COVID and places going under Smiley sad

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I hear you! We've gotten a few deposits back because the vendor cancelled on us but we've hesitated on finding their replacements or book any new ones. But at least it seems like you're willing to wait out this terrible wave of illness, whereas we're sticking to our rescheduled date no matter what (life has to move on etc). The silver lining to all this in your case, I guess, is that you can have the wedding you envisioned.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics