Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Vanessa
Frequent user June 2018 Ontario

Anyone else doing a non-traditional ceremony + reception?

Vanessa, on January 27, 2017 at 09:54 Posted in Wedding reception 0 6

We're totally not doing the traditional wedding, we're doing a cocktail party ceremony and reception.

Our wedding will be starting at 7 pm and guests will arrive to our cool venue having already eaten. We'll do a quick ceremony, prosecco toast, a few speeches, cake cutting and then get into the premium open bar, a huge antipasto/charcuterie spread followed by some fun mingling, maybe some games, late night nacho bar and last call at 1:30.

We've rented this awesome venue that's just a few minutes from our house and they include so many things which makes it so easy. I love that we have the venue from 8 am until 2 am and I get to have a bridal suite in the building where I can have my friends come, have my make up done, and do some photos. My fiance will get ready with his friends at our home.

We're keeping it minimal

No bridal parties (just friends hanging out with us the day of), limited flowers (I'm going to a farm the day before and grabbing whatever they have fresh cut), e-invites (except for moms and grammas), but printed "thank you"s, no favours (we're donating on everyone's behalf to our favourite charities), no catering (all the stuff is store bought or prepared, no DJ, no save the dates (I've never understood this, just send the invite...), decor is stuff from around my house and my moms (I swear she should open up a decor rental business), no transport, no veil, no lingerie (what? why?), no tux, no accomodations (our venue is in our city and we're gonna go home!), no transportation (again the benefit of a close to home wedding).

We're investing in the important stuff

good photographer, I'm going to get someone to do my hair and make up, I'm going to get a lovely dress, a honeymoon (we're off to Charleston and Savannah), we're investing in rings we love, awesome venue, good drinks, good food (even if it isn't catering).

Anyone else doing something similar and breaking away from the traditional wedding?

I think it's taking a bit for it to sink in with my inlaws that we won't be doing the regular ceremony, photos, dinner, reception thing. But whatever. We're having an awesome party instead!

6 Comments

Latest activity by Vanessa, on January 30, 2017 at 06:56
  • Vanessa
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No. I think it'll still be pretty traditional but not ball gown. I like the invisible neckline dresses that are a little vintage.
  • Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Vanessa! This is such a great idea! I absolutely love the way you are going about your wedding! Smiley love This is unique and your keeping all the essential elements: having a wonderful time with you friends and family to celebrate your love and this new step in your lives Smiley heart What kind of dress are you thinking of going for? Will it be different from traditional wedding dresses too? Smiley smile

• Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A custom suit?! I love that idea! My husband had said that he should be able to soend the same amount on a new suit as I did on a dress. I was fine with that but we ended up renting a tux for the wedding. It would have been a good investment though because he has to wear suits for work!

• Stephanie
    Devoted June 2021 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think you are my reception twin!!!! Lmao.Same timeline (different foods). Lots of mingling, party with wedding thrown in lol. Love your minimal approach I'm soooo excited for mine
  • Vanessa
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes! Next door is one of my favourite restaurants, so the girls and I will likely go over there and get some food. We'll also have some photos done as a kid of fun thing. My fiance will probably walk down to his favourite deli with his friends and do something similar with photos.

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm doing my wedding a little differently, where we are having a "reception" party later in the eveing, after a private ceremony. We are going heavy apps, in case anyone has not eaten yet (or misunderstands the invite), and we are encouraging the "dance party" feeling. Only one speech from us, and then mingle, dance and enjoy.

We are going minimal with decor, because our venue is nice enough, but I still have some projects on the go- paper flowers, handmade invitations etc...

And FH is skipping the Tux too! We are having a nice, fitted suit made (or not, he needs to get on that!), so he will have a great suit for other events too!

Are you going to have a meal for you and your friends while getting ready? Don't forget to eat and feed your entourage!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics