Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kassandra
Newbie July 2021 Ontario

Anyone else cancelled their wedding twice due to Covid?

Kassandra, on March 7, 2021 at 17:53 Posted in Ontario 0 7

Hey Everyone,

My fiancé and I were originally supposed to get married June 20th, 2020. We postponed our wedding until June 12, 2021 thinking everything would have been better by then. We are currently considering postponing until 2022. I was just wondering if anyone else has been in the same boat and if you're vendors allowed you to postpone twice? Also, how are you guys coping, I feel so miserable about how everything has been going with this pandemic!

7 Comments

Latest activity by Daily, on March 12, 2021 at 21:52
  • Daily
    Expert August 2022 Ontario
    Daily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes!! We were supposed to have a wedding on August 2020 postponed it August 2021 and now I’m postponing again to August 2022. My venue and other vendors were understanding and oaky with that.
  • Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was a little worried as I heard all the thing on the news that you were hearing as well, but I called the owner of are venue and had a heart to heart. I asked if they THOUGHT they could possibly go bankrupt, I asked what my options were etc.

They were very reassuring, and the name of the venue we have is well known in the "wedding world" so I was comfortable knowing I was in good hands.

The only DOWN SIDE to re booking again until next year is that they did charge me $5.00 more per plate, as the cost of their food (In all honesty its to recover from all this down time) but I mean, I agreed to it, they have been great through all of this, so I was ok with making that adjustment, I also have MORE time to save for it as well, which helps A LOT. They had also reduced my guaranteed amount of people just due to COVID, but would only charge for the amount of people the government allows.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You also have to see it from their perspective. There are a ton of people who are willing to have a scaled down wedding this summer with restrictions. Most people don't plan their weddings within a three month span so for you to jump ship again at this point means the venue lost a high-demand, in-season date for you when they could've sold it to those interested in moving forward with a smaller wedding.

Whatever your decision, I hope it works out for you but I wouldn't be surprised if the venue is not as proactive in offering you an in-season date for your second postponement if you choose that route.

• Kassandra
    Newbie July 2021 Ontario
    Kassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, you make some good points! My area just went into the grey zone, and numbers are already spiking. My ceremony and reception were supposed to be in Toronto & Peel, so I'm very doubtful that things will get under control. When I tried to rebook last year, I had to FIGHT with my venue for another summer date. Getting married in the summer was the one thing we really wanted and eventually the gave in. So I can only imagine what they'll say this time around especially because 2022 will most likely be better and their are so many people already planning for 2022. This is honestly driving me crazy! Hopefully they'll be understanding.

• Kassandra
    Newbie July 2021 Ontario
    Kassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is a lot of great advice thank you! I really like the fact that you guys just went ahead with the marriage, this has honestly been so frustrating! Were you worried at all about giving extra money to your venue or vendors at all. I saw an article the other day of several couples who lost 1000s because their venues shut down due to COVID. There's so much uncertainty surrounding everything.

• Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Girl,

Yup! I am in the same boat as you. July 18th 2020 - June 18th 2021 & now July 22nd 2022.

It was very "disappointing" is the best word I think I could use to describe it. We were SO excited to get married 2020, watching the countdown as time got closer, but of course that came to an end thanks to COVID. Then thinking maybe COVID wouldn't and Couldn't be a thing for THAT LONG we postponed until June 18th 2021 and it just felt like another slap to the face when I think about possibly spending THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS for something that doesn't feel like a wedding to us, no dancing together, distancing etc. Its not for us.

My Hubby and I ended up getting so frustrated that we said F it and got married in our home on Feb 13th 2021 & decided to just do a vow renewal next year on our "supposed to be" wedding day. We made the 13th EXTREAMLY casual, just so we can save the excitement of the make up - hair and gown for the day we spend with EVERYONE.

That being said, my Vendors have been AMAZING, they have changed date upon date with no hesitation and making me fit into their schedules. I mean I am telling them over a year in advance so hopefully they can find that spot for you, and hopefully they understand that you aren't cancelling them, you are just asking them to postpone with you.

I would just tell them honestly because of COVID, because YOU don't feel comfortable for your family to continue this year that you are postponing until 2022 and hope that they will be willing and flexible to postpone with you, maybe tell them you can give them a further deposit (nothing extra from what you owe them) but give them a larger deposit so they KNOW you are 100% locking them in? Just so they feel comfortable as well? We did that with our venue, and they seemed to be more than willing that way.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The answer to your question is the dreaded "it really depends" response. Some vendors have been understanding and been working with their clients to make changes without penalties. Some vendors allowed rebookings with new rates reflective of inflation/season change. Some didn't change rates the first time but did for the second rebooking (which is understandable). And some are just twisting couples' arms in a bad way regardless of the situation.

Only you will know how your vendors will react. A large part of this will also depend on why you're changing your date again. A lot of venues can be sympathetic if you're currently in a red zone and only allowed 10 people when you booked for 50 (it's probably not worth it for them to host a dinner for 10 even if it's allowed). If you're in, let's say, an orange zone and therefore can legally host 50 but you want to postpone because you don't like the fact that you have to wear a mask and can't dance, they might not be as sympathetic. Doesn't necessarily mean they won't work with you but I wouldn't be surprised if they ask for a rebooking charge or something to make up for the lost date that they're legally capable of providing.

Were they easy to deal with the first time? Did they give you any fuss at all? That's another factor in whether talks of another postponement will be smooth.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics