Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Chelsey
Beginner October 2022 Ontario

Any dishware/cutlery hacks?

Chelsey, on August 12, 2021 at 10:08 Posted in Wedding reception 0 5

Hi everyone! I'm looking for any advise, tips, recommendations on what you might have done for the whole dish/glassware and cutlery situations. I've decided to do it at a venue that gives you free reign to do whatever you want but that means stressing about stupid forks and knives haha. I'm looking at the cost of renting and it just all adds up so quickly. Alternative is to buy the fanciest plastic versions and just dispose of everything at the end of the night. Is it super tacky to have clear plastic cups and plastic plates and cutlery? What have you guys done to save money in this area?

Thanks!

5 Comments

Latest activity by Sabrina, on August 29, 2021 at 22:46
  • Sabrina
    Curious July 2022 Ontario
    Sabrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Have you already decided on food? Cutting steak, porkchops, or even chicken can be a little tough to cut through - possible, but difficult. If you're serving pizza, cooked veggies, salad, pasta, or anything soft (even roast beef), you should be fine! Charger plates are a tough plastic (the ones I've seen, I'm sure there are others out there). You can find nice plastic champagne flutes on Amazon or party city, too. There are ways to make it classy without going over budget. Sometimes buying in bulk is actually cheaper than plastic so check out restock.ca, liquidationdeals.ca, bargains group.com and bulkmart.ca, to compare. You could always speak with your vendor and see if they'll buy anything from you for their future events (glass, not plastic), or sell it online.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It depends on what you're serving to be honest. Plastic cutlery just doesn't cut it (pun intended) for a number of foods. Ever try using those really bad sporks at Popeyes? I might as well use my hands considering how flimsy they are.

Plastic is also no good for super hot foods whereas metal flatware can be used for anything. It costs less than $1 per set of fork+steak knife. Even if you're hosting 400 people, that's still a small cost compared to what else you spend on wedding things.

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Totally agree! It would cost us $300 to upgrade to real plates/cutlery! That's madness to me
  • Chelsey
    Beginner October 2022 Ontario
    Chelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Awesome - that's a relief. I'm thinking along the same lines as you are. I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. I mean, if someone complains about the cutlery... hahah that's their problem.

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our caterer includes plastic plates/cutlery in their package so we are going with that. I think the dinnerware and cutlery doesn't matter. The guests will only have it in front of them when they are eating then it gets removed. I personally feel the extra money to upgrade to real stuff could be better spent elsewhere. We are also planning on using clear plastic cups for drinks. Don't want to risk any glass being broken

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics