Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jen
VIP June 2018 Ontario

Alternatives to bridal bouquet/garter toss

Jen, on June 28, 2017 at 15:10 Posted in Wedding reception 0 23

Hey everyone! I've been looking for different ideas on what to do instead of the traditional garter and bouquet tosses. Since this is my second wedding I really didn't want to do things the same way I did my first. I remember doing the garter toss and hating the fact that he had to go up my dress to get it out. It's mortifying and embarrassing. As it is I hate being the center of attention (yes, I know I will be that day) and try to find anyway I can to stay out of it!

Here are some alternatives that you can use on your wedding day!

1) A breakaway bouquet!

For a while now brides have been having two bouquets made- one to keep and one to throw- but a "breakaway" bouquet is a little different. The trick with the breakaway is that it looks like a solid bouquet, but will separate out once it's thrown, allowing everyone to get a piece. Some brides have it arranged so that it breaks into a number of smaller bouquets, or just turns into a free-for-all of individual flowers. Either way, everyone has a better chance to snag a flower or two. Some brides have even been adding little messages on the stems of each bouquet!

Breakaway bouquet ideaBreakaway bouquet idea

2) Have a girls-only dance

Instead of doing a bouquet toss, invite all the ladies in the room, whether single, taken, or married, and have a girls-only dance party. Pick a fun, female positive song like Beyonce's "Who Run the World (Girls)," or the Spice Girl's "If You Wanna Be My Lover." That way, you're celebrating all of the women in your life. And if you're forgoing the garter toss as well, have your hubby host a guys-only dance next!

3) The Anniversary dance (my favourite)

Instead of singling out all of your single friends, turn the spotlight on the couples. Ask that anyone in a relationship (some people do just married couples, it's up to you) join the bride and groom on the dance floor for a couples dance. Pick a fun or sentimental song, and have the DJ/MC start counting up after a while, asking any couples who have been together for two years, five years, 10 years, and so on to stay on the floor until only a single couple remains. Give your bouquet to that couple — it will most likely be your adorable grandparents or grandparents-in-law! At our wedding (depending on if his relatives from the states come down) it will likely end up being his parents which will be incredibly heartfelt and amazing to give them the bouquet as they have been there for us through everything and helped with the planning.

Anniversary danceAnniversary dance

4) Have a flower ceremony

If you're having a small intimate wedding you could have a flower ceremony instead of a bouquet toss. Have the DJ or MC call all of your friends and family to the floor and proceed to hand each one of them a flower from your bouquet. You can tell them things you love about them, your favourite story involving them, or just thank them for coming. Everyone will walk away with a flower and a smile.

What are you and your fiancé doing if you're not doing the "traditional" garter/bouquet toss? I'd love to hear your ideas!

23 Comments

Latest activity by Jen, on July 16, 2017 at 02:05
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You're welcome!

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Same! It's just not us to share personal/private moments like that in front of our family. Especially most of his whom are pretty religious.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Me too. It's so sweet Smiley heart

• Erin
    Expert September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love the anniversary dance, it is so sweet. I also like the idea of a "girls only" dance, sounds like fun!

• Elena
    Newbie September 2017 Quebec
    Elena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Some great ideas here... feeling somewhat uninspired about this as we've decided to move away from the garter and bouquet tosses. I guess the anniversary dance idea is the most appealing to me. Wondering if there's a way to make the bouquet give-away more inclusive (singles and couples) for the ladies. Like... who can twist the longest... like they did last summer? lol I don't know.

• B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I like the breakaway bouquet! Thanks for sharing
  • Dana
    Frequent user April 2018 Ontario
    Dana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am also totally not a fan of garter tosses or bouquet tosses! Absolutely love the idea of inviting all the girls up for a ladies only dance though! Sounds so much more fun and there are lots of women in my life who are super special to me. I think I might do that Smiley smile
  • Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Love this. We've decided we're not doing the garter or bouquet tosses. We're a bit older and it's getting embarrassing for the single folks to be out on the floor like that. Not to mention I also didn't want to sit through the FH removing my garter in front of a crowd.
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree that the garter thing is embarrassing. With regard to the bouquet toss, most single women don't like to be "singled" out to catch a bouquet. It almost feels like they're the poor losers who don't have a husband, but wait... catch that bouquet and your luck will change! I like your number 3 idea which honours the couple married the longest.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not yet. We're thinking about it.
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Awww! That would be so sweet if you did and I'm sure they'd absolutely love it!

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Did you make paper flowers? That sounds awesome! Can't wait to see!

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks Zoe Smiley smile

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Me too! It is just way too embarrassing for me. I'm a quiet and reserved kind of person and so is my fiancé. There are other people I know who are more out there and crazy that I can see doing it but it's just not for us.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks Kacy! I had some help from the internet but wanted to share it all with you Smiley smile

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree! I'm totally doing the dance and giving the bouquet to the longest married couple.

• Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love the idea of the anniversary dance! It is actually my parents 50th anniversary on my wedding day so I might have to work that in somehow Smiley smile

• Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm glad I'm not the only one that hate bouquet tosses! Smiley smile

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are definitely not doing a garter toss (it is just weird to me). We might do the bouquet toss as we have some spare invitations with mistakes that we could turn into flowers.

• Zoë
    Master June 2020 Ontario
    Zoë ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Jen! I love your ideas! I'm going to share it with the other brides-to-be! Love it! Great job!! Smiley love

• Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Those are great ideas! I'm not doing either of those things either. I always hated the bouquet toss when I was single. I'm sparing other people that misery LOL
  • Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Great ideas!!!
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Those are all awesome ideas!!!