Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Michelle
Curious September 2021 Ontario

Almost one month away - venue hasn't opened or cancelled

Michelle, on July 21, 2021 at 14:15 Posted in Ontario 0 15

So my partner and I are getting married on September 10th - but I'm starting to stress about the venue. We've had it booked since January, but the building hasn't opened yet due to COVID, even though the rest of Ontario seems to be opening with restrictions. (For context, our venue holds 100+ and we've got a guest list of 50).

We've decided to have a small backyard ceremony with just immediate family if the venue isn't open, and I honestly wouldn't mind having the private ceremony and postponing the reception. I'm just starting to stress out, because it's almost a month away, and the venue hasn't told us one way or the other if it'll be open by our date or not. So we don't know which wedding ceremony we should be planning for.

I emailed the venue earlier this month, and received a generic response telling me they're is closed until further notice, but they've flagged my email and will send updates when they can.

We don't want to wait too long and then cancel on our guests too last minute, since they'll have taken days off work, booked hotels, etc. to come to the wedding.

I guess my question is: how long should we wait on the venue for a response one way or the other before contacting them and making the decision to reschedule?

15 Comments

Latest activity by Rayanne, on July 23, 2021 at 11:12
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank goodness!
  • Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hahahahah! Yesssss! I’m so happy it worked out for you both! 🙏🏾
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Positive vibes always help aha, thanks!!

• Tunisha
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ohhhhhhh yaaaaay! Happy for you and your partner Michelle! The positive vibes probably worked too. Hahahaa! 👏🏾 🥂
  • Tracy
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So good to hear it worked out for you! Good luck!

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Nevermind, spoke too soon. Glad it's working out for you.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ahh, if it's city owned, it's likely not going to run as many city owned facilities are not operating to reduce spread of covid
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Glad that they got back to you! It's not an easy feeling waiting for responses!

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

UPDATE: We just got confirmation, it's good to go! It's like they knew I was panicking aha - what timing.

• Tunisha
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hello Michelle,
    Sorry that you’re going through this. This is not a good thing for you and your partner to have to go through. Since you have not heard back anything yet, I would say to initiate your Plan B. Hoping that the business will refund you or you’ll be able to have another event or reception at the venue once they open back up.

Wishing you all the best in your plan! Sending positive vibes!
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It’s city-owned, I’m not giving up on it yet lol
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Is this a city run heritage site or private? A heritage property is just a designation that dictates how renovations and tear downs can happen. The business that operates inside of it is still a corporation that can declare itself bankrupt.

I hope you can get your money back.

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Can heritage houses go bankrupt? I’m still going to research other options in case…
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow that's crazy. They should be letting you know ASAP what is going on. So glad you have a plan B. It doesn't sound too promising that your venue will come through. I hope everything works out for you.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

With just over a month away, it's ridiculous that they're not reaching out to explain what's going on either way. Considering venues are more or less open, this gives me brink of bankruptcy vibes and since you're willing to reschedule and host a private ceremony, I would walk away from this place and try to recoup costs.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics