Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Seithen
Curious August 2018 Quebec

Alcohol or not ?

Seithen, on April 4, 2017 at 12:02 Posted in Wedding reception 0 11
Hi everyone! I know this question can sound a bit weird since in every party alcohol is one of the main drinks but, my fiancé doesn't drink since years ago he got into alcohol problems, we talk about it and he doesn't care but I'm not sure if would be a good idea in our day have something that bring a lots of problems in my fiancé past. What would you sugest? I try to find any good ideas but in the end everything is about drinks 😂

11 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 10, 2018 at 12:47
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Alcohol free can go well for a limited time. Offer red and white wines on each table so that guests are limited to drinks rhan nothing.

I can see bruch or lunch receptions without alcohol having no issues. Just ask the venue to offer certain liquors being cash bar to satisfy your guests.
  • Kate
    Expert July 2017 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a dry wedding. No one is worth a 50.000$ fine for someone drinking too much. Plus there is no way I would pay 15.00$ and hour to have someone pour drinks. I didn't make that kind of money when I use to work in the bars so I refuse to pay someone that kind of money. Less stress and headaches with no Booze.

• Jen
    Frequent user April 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think if he is fine with having alcohol there then it should be ok. I think ur guest will understand too if u don't.
  • Shannon
    Devoted June 2020 British Columbia
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think if a no-alcohol wedding works better for you guys you should do it! Maybe you could offer things like a sherbet punch, softdrinks, or virgin daquiris instead? If you put the drink station near the buffet you could even have one of your servers watching over it to make sure no one spikes the drinks Smiley smile
  • Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think a serious talk with your FH could help. Maybe go through some scenarios you are worried about to feel more confident in your choice one way or another. It sucks that people would be so selfish as not to respect a no alcohol wedding but I think being forthright about it is how to go.
  • Zoë
    Master June 2020 Ontario
    Zoë ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Seihen,

Congratulations on your engagement!! Smiley heart I would do whatever feels right to you. At the end it's your and your FH's big day.

Maybe you can find more tips on this discussion.Smiley kiss

Providing alcohol for reception

Did you already bought a dress? Let me know xx

• Denise
    Frequent user May 2018 Ontario
    Denise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A person I know converted to another religion and had an alcohol-free wedding. Almost every one of the guests complained about it. Some guests had snuck in their own alcohol. Lunch may evade this problem.

You could also limit the alcohol -- for e.g. have a cash bar. If you can fix the price of the drinks higher with your venue. That may alleviate the problem, but have the consequence of upsetting some guests.

You could also just have a bottle of wine on each table to limit alcohol consumption.

Alcohol-free wine or bubbly may be an option as well. And virgin cocktails!

Sorry I can't be of more help!

• Kate
    Expert July 2017 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are still up in the air with that one. The licences and the cost of the drinks is a little stressful since we don't drink. I wanted to get a big bottle of sparkling wine. Maybe just a punch would work too. Just the headache of making sure someone hasn't drunk too much bothers me greatly. I don't want someone getting into an issue because of the drinks I have.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think both Leah and Katherine have brought up good points but only you really know your guests. I think Leah's situation is more likely if you do an afternoon or evening event but Katherine is right as well in that breakfast usually doesn't equal alcohol. You could do the brunch thing and have a few bottles of bubbly for a toast or something. If most of your guests are aware of your FH's past, then I don't think it is a problem to mention that the wedding will be alcohol free.

• Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Have a breakfast/brunch reception... No one would question the lack of alcohol.
  • Leah
    Frequent user April 2017 Quebec
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The thing is if you say it is alcohol free, people will most likely bring a cooler and head outside to grab a drink. That happened at my grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary which was alcohol free for similar reasons. Guys kept sneaking away outside to hangout in a van drinking. So you may think you can avoid having drinkers there, but in reality drinks could still be snuck in or people sneaking out for them.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics