Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alexa
Devoted July 2018 Alberta

Alcohol

Alexa, on August 3, 2017 at 17:50 Posted in Wedding reception 0 8
I was wondering if it would be rude to do a mixture of open bar and drink tickets. Basically everyone at the door will pay $20 per person(children not included) to have unlimited drinks for the night. That way guests don't have to always have to have change or bills to give to bartender for drinks?

8 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 4, 2018 at 12:14
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    $20.00 wouldn't be my choice to pay as a guest. Tooonie bar instead to cut how much i drink.
  • Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The $20 per person is a good thought but I think it's going to be seen in a bad light. I agree with the other commentators that a toonie bar will likely be more popular with guests.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'll be honest, $20 at the door is not fair to your guests. Not everyone is going to want alcohol and to pay $20 at the door is forcing people to pay for alcohol they may not want, or can't have if they're driving. A toonie bar with drink tickets is a much better idea and will get a much better response
  • Ashley
    Frequent user September 2018 Quebec
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Twoonie bar sounds like a good idea after a certain time. Before that for cocktail house and 1-2 hours from when dinner service starts to have open bar. Once dancing begins however, I would say twoonie bar. It also may control how many people are drunk or have had too much at your wedding.

• Alexa
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Alexa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was thinking toonie bar only reason thinking of a "charge at the door" is so that guests don't have to worry about opening there wallet everytime they want a drink.
  • Jenn
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having our wedding at a golf club and they have a bar package where I pay them for open bar for a couple hours and then the rest of the evening they either charge me additional or my guests. My FH and I discussed it and decided cocktail hour and the first hour after dinner would be the open hours, then after that we are doing a toonie bar (including that on our website and on the invites so people know to bring cash). Some people won't buy any toonie drinks and just enjoy the first two open hours, other people will continue to drink and be happy that it is $2 a drink instead of full charge. Anyone I've told about the toonie bar loves the idea Smiley smile hope that helps
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Personally, I wouldn't want to pay $20.00 at the door if I only have one or two drinks. If you want to have a mix, what about giving each person a couple of drink tickets. When they use those up, they can pay at the bar. Some people might not use their tickets at all and would give them to people who would like another drink. These are your guests. You can't charge them at the door, sorry.

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's a difficult one. Where I come from I have been to 2 weddings where they had people pay for their drinks one was where it was $7.00 a drink which was crazy expensive and the other which was neat was where they had a Toonie bar. I'm from Manitoba where the average drink at a social is between $3.00 and $4.00 a drink. To give you an idea of how much some people can drink in a family: My mom for instance only has one drink. My dad doesn't drink at all, neither does my grandmother and my poppa maybe has 3 drinks. I have 4-5 drinks. My fiancé can drink us all under table. So to charge $20.00 a person for unlimited drinks you may want to talk to others in your wedding party, friends/family, etc. to get an overall idea. We will be doing an open bar. Other ideas too is having select drinks available. Beer and wine only. We are having Beer, Wine, Spirits and speciality bride and groom drinks available for others to try as well. I am not sure what alcohol is worth in Alberta but I heard its cheaper than in Manitoba. Not sure if I was helpful or not.

Definitely something I didn't think of but I know when planning a social people put drink tickets together in a social package to make them cheaper so they have to come up less.

Vanessa

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics