Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sara
Beginner August 2022 Alberta

Airbnb for Ceremony and Reception venue?

Sara, on August 5, 2021 at 21:52 Posted in Wedding reception 0 10
Does anyone have experience renting their wedding venue through an Airbnb? It’s a fairly new venue that is just absolutely gorgeous. Our wedding isn’t until next August and they have not had any other weddings hosted their besides their own engagement party so no references. I’m wondering about how I would go about securing them as a venue while protecting myself. Airbnb has pretty good cancellation policies meaning not only can I cancel within 30 days but so can they. Should I be making sure I have a contract outside of Airbnb and what should be included in it? If we did make a contract with terms and an amount agreed upon for a deposit and date to pay the final amount by, how would this hold up legally? Any advice or past experiences are welcome! Airbnb for Ceremony and Reception venue? 1

10 Comments

Latest activity by Abby, on September 14, 2021 at 18:08
  • A
    Beginner June 2022 Alberta
    Abby ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh wow yeah they don’t sound reliable at all. You are absolutely right. I’ll definitely reach out to the venue you suggested . Thanks so much!
  • Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I viewed the Airbnb in person that is pictured above and spoke with the owners etc. They did not follow up with me after which tells me they don’t care much… and the place was set up for Airbnb visitors to stay there that weekend and it was not cleaned properly for guests. Besides for the price you will end up paying to have it there you are better off going with an actual wedding venue in my opinion.
  • Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    They do have a decor package, tables and chairs included! If you check out their website you should be able to view their packages. It is still under construction though I should warn you, the pictures they have now are renderings and from a styled outdoor shoot they did. But they are slated to open for May 2022. The owner is a gem though and I have high hopes for this venue. As you probably have seen most places are booked solid for 2022, so I felt this place was worth the risk.
  • A
    Abby ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sara that venue is so gorgeous 😭😭😩😩’!!!! I emailed them. I hope they are not booked up ! Thank you so much for the recommendation . Do they offer decorations, tables and chairs as well?? Or is that a separate vendor?
  • Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We actually went with a venue called sparrow lane events out in spruce grove for ours! You should check it out on Instagram @sparrowlane.events
  • A
    Abby ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Sara, I’m actually considering the exact same location for my wedding next June !! What a coincidence. I’m so skeptical as well since I don’t really know much about the terms and conditions with booking airb&bs but after reading the comments I’m more paranoid than I was before ahah . I’m in Edmonton as well !

-Abby
  • Denica
    Newbie June 2022 Ontario
    Denica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So, I too explored the Air Bnb option, and I encourage you to explore Vrbo too (its just like Air Bnb but more geared to family events and such).

The reason why we dropped the Air BnB idea was because once we messaged the hosts (just to get an approval that they would accommodate a wedding of 70 people) I found the hosts to be unprofessional, sketchy (many had hidden fees especially for the number of guests and were asking for money to be paid off of Vrbo), and just all around not sustainable. Like someone mentioned, they could cancel with little notice and leave you scrambling last minute. I was really upset having to give this up because I wanted to have a two night stay with all the people in my wedding. I didn't plan to have a bridal shower for budget reasons, so I pictured that it would happen organically at the Air Bnb in a way. Its also a great place to hold the reception dinner too. But it just didn't work out unfortunately.

I say this, but I still encourage you too look and make sure you turn over every stone. This was my experience looking in Toronto, but maybe you'll have a better experience than mine.

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would be pretty hesitant to book through airbnb for any large event like a wedding because the owner can cancel pretty much right up until the date with only a relatively small penalty. And then you'd be left trying to find an alternative at the last minute. I just personally wouldn't take the risk when other options are available. If you find something you like though you can always ask to make a contract outside of airbnb with the owner of the property.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Airbnb currently has a no events policy. It's slated to end this year but it could be extended (they already did once).

If you're using a private bed and breakfast type place as your venue, definitely draft a contract with the owner outside of the Airbnb booking system. Both you and the owner can add provisions to protect yourselves on anything not covered by a typical Airbnb policy.

• Gift
    Frequent user October 2021 Alberta
    Gift ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    What venue is this Sara? I actually booked an air bnb for my reception but considering a plan B. I’m also in Edmonton. I don’t have any experience yet but will tell you of my experience after October 2nd lol. Please hit me up 😊

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics