Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelly
Expert September 2019 Manitoba

Airbnb Cancelled. In a panic

Kelly, on July 22, 2019 at 11:45 Posted in Honeymoon 0 9

I'm so frustrated. Our Airbnb for our honeymoon just cancelled on us. She's taking her place off Airbnb due to a couple bad experiences. Good for her I guess. Crappy for us.

She offered to honour our booking, which is really nice of her, but it makes things REALLY complicated. We had already paid half the amount when we booked, which I paid for by credit card, then moved money from my vacation savings account to the credit card to pay it off.

Airbnb will refund what I paid because the host cancelled. It will refund my credit card. The host said once the refund goes through, to etransfer her the amount to hold the booking (I'm a little sketched out by this private booking thing too because there's no platform like Aribnb protecting us now...but that's a whole other issue).

Here's where its complicated. I cannot do an etransfer from my credit card. So even though I technically get the refund....I can't use it to book. I can't move the money from my credit car to my chequing, because its considered a cash advance. Looking ahead at my income...I wont be able to pay her until mid august (need to hold onto that rent money!). So....its kinda like I'm paying for it twice? not in reality I guess....but kinda? If that makes sense? Because I already had it paid off when I moved the money over...

I'm at a total loss. Not sure if I should stay with this booking and figure it out. Its so inconvenient on our part. But...looking at Airbnb, there's not a ton of options left. We booked back in February! This was a total gem of a find, and a lot of whats left is basement suites. We kinda want total privacy; we don't really want to be living just below to hosts, you know?

So frustrated and sad about this situation.

9 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on July 23, 2019 at 08:31
  • Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's confusing to me that this owner decided not to use Airbnb yet feels that VRBO will provide better experience ( I have never used either service so I don't know the difference) to which she can charge more money. I would treat the refund on your credit card as like a credit towards your next trip. If you have not booked any other activities or flights then I would just start over.

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes! I hear you there! He place is actually listed on VRBO, but at $40 more per night. I've expressed my concerns to her about payment/ feeling secure in our booking when not done through a platform like Airbnb. I also said I'd prefer to book it on VRBO, but would she honour the price we paid for it.

I'm waiting for her response.

• M
    Curious January 2020 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Been there with AirBNB before - totally sucks when the host cancels on you and you are frantically trying to book another place. However, what she is offering sounds like a major risk to me, especially without a contract or anything and, even if you had a contract - how do you know she's signing with a legit identification? I'd say no to her offer.

I know you are tight on timing now but when this happened to us, we found a ton of options on a similar site, VRBO and honestly I might like this site better.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That really sucks, sorry to hear about this! I can't imagine how you feel right now.

If you are adamant about keeping this place, I'd definitely draw up a contract for you and the owner to sign, protecting your from risks. As for the money, would she be able to wait until after rent is paid and you pay her later? You'd have the refund on your CC and could technically use that money for other expenses (i.e. cell, internet, etc) so it's not a total waste (if that makes sense) but it still sucks that you are kinda paying twice for it.

• Kathy
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I understand your Frustration. I’m a little concerned about the risk though. My only suggestion is to try searching again, maybe another city?
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I completely get how you feel about it being good for her to get out of it but how much it sucks on your end Smiley atonished

Is there any bills (like cell phone, wifi, etc.) that you would be able to move over to your credit card so that it pulls from there and free's up some room in the savings to pay her? I would also see if you could find the contract template that either AirBnB uses or make one up for the two of you to sign to make it more legit.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's horrifying - I'm sorry you're going through this! Something similar happened to us before the holidays last year.

Personally, I would decline her offer. It sounds WAY too complicated/risky and by not being with AirBnB anymore, you won't be covered by their insurance. This means she can come back and claim damages that never happened or just straight out cancel your booking without notice and leave with the money.

I know this isn't ideal, but I would start looking at other accommodation options (VRBO) and ask AirBnB if they could help you find places within budget in the same area (which they did for us!).

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is extremely frustrating! I defiantly get what you mean by not actually having the money to use as well. it puts you in a difficult spot. Is there anything else that is in your budget near where that location was? I realize you mentioned some basements which is def not somethign you were imagining on your honeymoon,

• Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's awful, I'm so sorry this happened!

Is there any way that she can leave this final booking through Air BnB and just not take any others, to save the risk and complications? Can she just show everything else as not available so that you are still covered through the platform? I get that she is going to not do this any more, but you still have the right to cover yourself too.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics