Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Colin
Newbie July 2023 Ontario

Afternoon wedding reception

Colin, on March 19, 2022 at 16:31 Posted in Wedding reception 0 4
My fiancée & I are planning to have an afternoon wedding reception in 2023. I am wondering what people’s experiences have been with afternoon receptions? Has anyone planned an afternoon reception and do you have any tips to make it go smoothly? I know it’s not as common as an evening reception, but we are trying to save money. Any comments will be appreciated.

4 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on April 18, 2022 at 10:53
  • Stephanie
    Featured February 2024 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am planning an evening wedding for less than 50 people, ceremony start at about 6:30, cocktails, heavy apps etc...
  • KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having our ceremony at 4pm and a cocktail hour four our guests right after to allow us time to take some family photos

• A
    Super September 2022 Alberta
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My sister in law did a ceremony at 3pm and then cocktails and dessert at 7:30pm
    So all the guests had time to go get dinner then come for the reception!
    The Ceremony and cocktails were at different locations so it made it easy to leave and go get dinner then head out to the cocktail reception It worked out really well! So at the reception they had speeches then people could go get dessert and then they did some more speeches and then by 8:00pm was the dance and they just did they’re cake cutting privately so nobody would stop dancing!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you're trying to cut the cost of a full proper meal, I suggest starting your ceremony later in the afternoon, like at 2pm followed by a reception. This will indicate to all guests that a full meal is not to be expected. If you start at noon, you'll have to feed your guests a lunch as most people won't have time to eat due to having to get ready and travelling (especially if they're coming from far away).

Unless you have a ton of finger food that can make up a meal for all your guests, be prepared to have the party end early, like at around 5-6pm.

I think the most important thing is to be transparent. As long as you give your guests the proper info and expectations, they will plan accordingly.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics