Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Bridget
Curious August 2018 Alberta

Adding a religous component to a civil ceremony?

Bridget, on February 11, 2018 at 01:33 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 5

HI everyone!

I was raised Catholic, but my fiancé was not. We agreed on a civil ceremony, but was wondering if anyone had added a special reading, poem or prayer onto their civil ceremony?

5 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on February 12, 2018 at 09:24
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you would need to check with your officiant first but I don't see how including a reading or any description, religious or otherwise, would not be allowed.

• Amelia
    Curious October 2018 Nova Scotia
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You should check with your justice of the peace to see if thats something theyre able to do. I know with mine they arent allowed to hace an undertone of religion at all.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My have never practiced religion, my fiance was raised Catholic but does not practice. So like you we are having a civil ceremony. His family however wanted us to add religious aspects, we declined but they mentioned like his aunt doing a reading. So maybe that would be an idea for you. Have a family member do a reading of some sort, some civil officiants won't read religious (most don't care too much). So talk to your officiant see if they want to, if not ask a family member.
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH is Catholic (though doesn't practice regularly) and I am Jewish (although I also don't practice regularly), because of this we decided to do a civil ceremony.

We are going to add a reading in, but it won't have any religious intones to it. You can definitely make your reading more religious if you like!

Just check with your officiant, as there are different ceremony packages from what I understand. For example:

Mine is the 'basic' package.. no readings, special ceremonies, etc. We asked them if my FH's sister can do a reading. They almost bumped us up to the next package which includes a reading but decided against it since they wouldn't be the ones reading it.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did two of the indian traditions part of the service. A poem can be read dedicated to the parents or something nice to remember.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics