Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rekramer
Expert November 2018 Ontario

30 Days! Stress!

Rekramer, on October 11, 2018 at 13:46 Posted in Before the wedding 0 12

Hi All,

Just needing a little guidance and positivity. We are exactly 30 days from the wedding and I have everything I can reasonably accomplish solo, accomplished. Our seating chart is done and colour coded by meal. My wedding dress, shoes and accessories are waiting patiently. We picked up hubby's suit. The gifts for parents are ordered, the gifts for bridesmaids are done and just waiting to be assembled.

I am having a lot of trouble motivating my groom to get moving on things. We had a professional dance choreographed, and I got tired of nagging him to practice and now I don't remember it. He hasn't finished buying gifts for the groomsmen. He hasn't bought his belt and tie. He hasn't ordered the gifts for the fathers. I don't want to nag, and I don't want to do it myself because I think that sets a bad precedent. If you have any tips, please let me know.

Also, if you have any thoughts on things you forgot around the 30 day mark, or wished you had done, please share. Thanks!

12 Comments

Latest activity by Rekramer, on November 21, 2018 at 17:42
  • Rekramer
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi All, I just wanted to say thanks and it all went really well! I'll share photos as soon as I have a few from the professional photographer. I think it would be a stretch to say that my fiance rallied, but he really did keep it together and keep me calm as we got closer to the date, which I know was a lot of work. Our day was actually great. I kept waiting for something terrible to happen like everyone predicted, and it really didn't happen. It was such a beautiful day!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cognratulations on your wedding! I hope it all went great!

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So you posted this almost a month ago. does this mean this weekend is wedding???? Smiley smile hope your almost 30 days left have been manageable!

• Stephanie
    Beginner May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Okay, I'm totally not 30 days away, but my husband-to-be is definitely the same!!!!! GAH! Just drives you crazy doesn't it?!

Honestly, have a talk with him and tell him!! (I already have had "that talk" with my guy - GET GOINGGGGG ON YOUR STUFF!!) I've been super pro-active on getting my items and tasks completed and NADA from him - so you are not alone!!

If your talk with him doesn't put a spring in his step, I would seriously just go get some of the items myself - a lot less stressful and if the groom hates it - well then he will suddenly decide to do it himself. LOL!

• Candice
    Curious October 2018 Alberta
    Candice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I sooo can relate!!! We get married in 8 days and I admit I did pannick at the 30 day mark. He DID NOT.

2 weeks before the wedding, he kicked into gear! Alcohol figured out, Donut Board assembled, stuff will be painted shortly. He is really on board so there is hope for your finance!!

Thankfully the decorations have been tested and tried - I recommend setting up all your tables in your kitchen - turns out I did not buy enough filler for my vases, I do have time to get more!

Just a piece of mind that all your decor is ready to go! I have alot lol.

Good Luck! Breathe! It will all turn out amazing (I'm still hoping for an outdoor wedding! I hope the weather is nice!)

• Renee
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Renee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Let me put it this way: I get married this Friday. His suit isn't picked up yet (not his fault) it's almost 1am and he is working on the slideshow that still needs to be handed into our tech company, he just bought his belt Saturday, his shoes last Saturday among other things. Don't worry, it will get done! They don't have the wedding bug like we do and some things just need to be let go! Let him do it in his own time. No worries!
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I hear you on the motivating the FH! The laid back approach works for some things but when planning a wedding I feel like a lot of the brides are super proactive in getting things done and the grooms tend to be more carefree! Not that it's a bad thing! But when we want to get stuff done WE WANT STUFF DONE. I would suggest just having a serious talk with you FH! I did! I was open and honest that you know, there isnt a perfect exact timeline but it's better to get things done now when you have the time instead of being stressed super last minute! And things are sounding pretty last minute with you now! I wouldnt nag him but for sure come forward and be honest that the procrastination is becoming stressful for you!
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Men!! Am I right?! Seems like we all deal with this. My FH keeps joking how he'll get his suit the week before, well I hope he's joking lol.

I find Tori's advice works well with us too, to mention something once, let it sit, then mention it again in a week and go get it done! We'll also get a lot of stuff done in a day so then it's not spread out. Men are also visual so having a check-list with tasks could help and then he SEES the tasks at hand.

One of our challenges is that my FH works 12 hour shifts, sometimes it's a 6am-6pm shift and other times it's a 6pm-6am shift. I avoid nagging/pestering him on those days since he's tired after day shifts and sleeping before nights. He does get a chunk of days off so we'll tackle any couple's tasks then.

• Rekramer
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yeah I hear you guys. And its nice to hear I'm not alone. I've tried the waiting a few days and then suggesting time to do it together, and then he just blows me off when that time comes because we're busy. I also don't really want to give up more of my free time to motivate him to do something, I have things I need to accomplish while he does what he's supposed to have already done. I think I'm just frustrated and need to vent it.

• Angel
    Frequent user June 2019 British Columbia
    Angel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I know exactly how you feel .....I feel like that it would be faster to get things done if I just did it myself! However, it is important that he does his share because it's also his big day! Like the girls have said, you probably just have to do it along with him to ensure it is done and done correctly! Guys are more visual so I would write down the remaining items in a checklist and ask him to cross them off as they are done!

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Tori. I try really hard not to nag too. So I will bring it up once, let it sit for a week, and then bring it up again. For you since you are 30 days out, if this cuts it too close, maybe give it a couple days, and then plan a day to get everything together.

I feel like guys need a little bit more of a push. lol

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well first of all OMG your big day is coming up so fast!!! So exciting!!

As for the FH - I have a very similar kind of man to deal with too... My best advice to try and get him to get his stuff together is to wait maybe like one full week without mentioning anything, and then ask him if he would like to set aside that Saturday (or whenever you are both free) to go and get it all done in one go. That usually works for me, as long as you are suggesting rather than telling him.

Hope it works!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics