Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Megan
Curious July 2019 Alberta

1st Dance + Father/Daughter + Groom/Mother

Megan, on July 15, 2019 at 12:38 Posted in Wedding reception 0 10

Hey everyone!

I have only been to one wedding and I cant remember when they did all the dances.

I am wondering if you normally have your father daughter dance right after the first dance or should I have the father+daughter and the groom+mom dance after dinner?

I know its really up to me but I cant decide! Let me know what you did!

Thank you Smiley smile

10 Comments

Latest activity by Nelly, on October 4, 2019 at 09:27
  • Nelly
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having our first dance right after our grand entrance, then we're having our father daughter dances, grandparent dances and our bridal party dance. After dinner our dance floor will open

• H
    Beginner September 2020 Arizona
    Heather ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am planning on doing the first dance, Then eating then doing the daddy daughter dance then mother and son. Then I will be doing desserts and opening the dance floor.

• Jean
    Beginner September 2019 Ontario
    Jean ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Often it does normally go this way - right after 1st dance. But really in the end, there's no truely right or wrong way. It's really up to you how you would like things to happen. Nothing is defined by culture or tradition. This is all of you making your own wedding adventure :-)

Regards,

JGD

• Jade
    Beginner May 2022 Ontario
    Jade ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey!

I've seen the first dance before food and the father dater dance between courses, but then I have also seen it after food is done. I am thinking the first dance will be before dinner? and then thinking of doing a father-daughter dance after speeches maybe before desert. Smiley smile

hope that helps

• Sondra
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Sondra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are going to do our grand entrance right into our first dance, then after dinner is completed, during our speech (which will be last) I am going to ask my dad to join me for a dance. I'm a huge Daddy's girl and I feel it's a little more personal than having my MC just announce it.

I'm really against the idea of speeches and dances during dinner as they are 'special moments' and guests will more than likely stop eating to watch or listen and then end up eating cold food, but that is just my personal opinion. I'm sure whatever you do will be perfectly tailored for your day and will go off wonderfully! Congratulations! Smiley smile

• Cliodhna
    WeddingWire Admin January 2030 Galway
    Cliodhna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Megan! This is normally done after the spotlight dances, and before the bouquet toss/garter toss. Check out this article for more - Wedding Reception Timeline.

• Megan
    Curious July 2019 Alberta
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Okay thanks all!

I am doing a buffet. I think I am going to have the first dance right after the grand march and then father daughter after dinner. Like you said some can still be eating so that will work Smiley smile Thanks ALL!!

One more questions haha - When do you normally cut the cake? Before father daughter dance or after this. lol trying to finalize time line :p

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm thinking for my wedding we are going to have the first dance straight after we enter the room and the parent dances during/after we eat. We are having buffet so I assume by the time the last table sits down to eat we will be done eating and can start dancing while they eat/watch.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you can have these dances whenever you want to. I've seen them done between courses, or one after the other, it's all about what works for you.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It also depends if you are doing a seated dinner, or a buffet.
    We are doing our first dance right after our entrance. Then our MC will do his welcome speech, someone will say Grace, and the first course will be served. Right after we have eaten (Bride, Groom, MOG, FOB) then we will have the dances while everyone else finishes up.

For us we are limited on our photographers time, they are leaving at 8. So we wanted to get all the dances done right away!

Talk to your venue as well, they may be able to give you some suggestions for time lines and what works best for them serving food.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics