Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

10 things you don't want to forget about your reception - How will you greet each guest?

Joey, on April 8, 2019 at 09:29

Posted in Wedding reception 43

The age-old reception debate: will you have a receiving line to ensure you can welcome each guest personally, or will you go table-to-table to have your special moment with everyone? How will you greet each guest? Receiving line or table visits? Photo by Daniel Ricci Wedding Photography in Niagara...

The age-old reception debate: will you have a receiving line to ensure you can welcome each guest personally, or will you go table-to-table to have your special moment with everyone?

How will you greet each guest? Receiving line or table visits?

cfb_45167.jpg

Photo by Daniel Ricci Wedding Photography in Niagara Falls

>>Click here to go to the next question, Will you give a thank you speech?

>>Click here to return to the start of 10 things you don't want to forget...

43 Comments

• Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Right! Receiving lines are so weird. I went to a friends wedding where they did this. And you can't really talk or anything. It is super rushed, and really awkward.

We have some family that can't stand for long periods, or my grandfather is blind.

I like going table to table. It's more personal and I think it makes the guests feel more appreciated and acknowledged when you come to them.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Receiving line and table visits. We want to do both so we can spend time with everyone.
  • Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think the receiving line is ridiculous. Just super awkward everyone standing in a line to say congrats.

I can see where you are coming from, but I think it's important to make your guests feel important and go say hi. I mean family that's never met you might be to shy to come up to you if you aren't with your groom. Or some of the older family members I think expect you to go to them and not the other way around.

We have some elderly family with mobility issues and etc.. and FH and I have not met a lot of each others extended family. I think for us it makes more sense, and the guests will appreciate it.

• Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will be going around to tables after dinner.

I find receiving lines awkward and not personal at all, plus they are rushed.

We also have limited time after the ceremony for photos, so we are going straight from recessional to the limo and off to take pictures!

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are trying to not do a receiving line. I feel like it will take too much time. So we will just make sure to go around to each table while dinner is going on!

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We'll walk around the venue and try to say hi to everyone throughout the evening.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We'll be doing a receiving line. We both think personally saying hello to and thanking each guest is very important, and that we should be the ones to approach them/initiate contact, and the best way to do that is either a receiving line or table visits. We both got paranoid about table visits because the last wedding we went to despite the couple's best efforts our table, along with at least 10 others were not visited due to timing. MY FH was also paranoid about people happening to be in the bathroom when we visit their table and then us missing them. We decided on a receiving line. It will just be the two of us in the line and it should move fast. We will have about 100-125 people so not a huge wedding. Of course we'll also talk to people throughout the reception, but for us a receiving line is the best way to make sure we've spoken to everyone.

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Omg does this seem ridiculous to anyone else? i won’t be organizing how I say hello to people. i’ll be busy on the dance floor so anyone who wants to say hi can come find me there
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are going to do table visits, just because out of the weddings we've been to ourselves in the past, that was what was done. I also think it's a bit more personal. I don't want my guests to feel like they're stuck in line at the grocery store.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will go table to table and talk with everyone
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If they want to say hi we will have a couple chairs on the opposite side of the head table for them to come talk to us! We have a guest list of 250 so it wouldn't be feasible to have a receiving line or to go table to table especially in my big ballgown!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics